What's new

Toshiba TLP-S30U LCD Projector (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
With the experience of the X1-DLP under my belt, anyone know what the pro's and con's are between it and an LCD projector. I see BB has this LCD on sale for $1,199. $300 more than the X1, but still in a working ballpark for my budget.

Mainly, what are the pro's and con's with both types. With the DLP the biggest issues are rainbows and the screen door effect. What about LCD?

If my local BB has one in stock, I might just go by and pick one up for testing.

specs
Monitor Type LCD

Display Type LCD

Viewable Screen Size
29.3" - 300" (diagonal)

Maximum Resolution 800 x 600 SVGA

Brightness Lumens 1400 ANSI lumens

Contrast Ratio 400:1

Compatibility PC and Mac

Vertical Frequency
50-85Hz

Horizontal Frequency
15-93kHz

On-Screen Image Controls
Yes

Digital Keystone Correction
Yes

Zoom/Focus Control
Manual

Lamp Type
165W

Lamp Life
Up to 2000 hours

Audio
1W monaural

Power Consumption
240W

Accessories Included
Remote control, power cable, RGB cable, A/V cable, audio cable for video, audio cable for computer, user's guide, quick setup guide, soft carrying case, CD-ROM

Product Height
3"

Product Width
10.9"

Product Depth
7.8"

Product Weight
4.8 lbs.

Warranty Term — Parts
2 years limited

Warranty Term — Labor
2 years limited

Peace Out~:D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I'm not sure how tight Toshiba's specs are. As you know, some manufacturer's advertise the absolute highest specs the projector can do but when you install the projector in the real world, the actual results are far from the specs. Also, most advertise the highest brightness together with the highest contrast ratio and you can hardly ever achieve both together. I equate this to home builders advertising the "from" price (cheapest price) along with the "to" picture (deluxe model house).

That said, I will first point out the contrast ratio of the Toshiba. At 400:1, this is the first thing you will want to check out when you demo it. Try to do your demo on a gray screen if you can. I believe you were planning such a DIY screen for your X1. You will also want to check the pixel fill ratio for this SVGA PJ. That said, here are some use comments from projectorcentral...

Personal Experience
Best projector for the money.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Neil, I forgot to check projectorcentral.com.

I might just order up one of these from BB.com and compare it to the X1. I went and looked at a Panny S100u a few minutes ago and was not too impressed, even after a little time at the controls. No rainbows though. It was $999 for a refurb. I might have brought it home, but no return policy and it had a dead pixal.

This Toshiba is the ceiling for my budget. But I need to run an LCD up against a DLP and find the best one.

Peace Out~:D

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
So, Ron, saw your post over at AVS. Where'd you end up getting the Panny 200 from?

EDIT: Mevermind, just saw your review.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks