Toshiba TLP-S10 vs Epson S1 - help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by _Alan Preston_, Oct 23, 2003.

1. _Alan Preston_

Hi,

I've been looking at the Epson EMP-S1, as it seems to be a pretty good budget projector.

But, a local store is currently offering a deal of a free 100-inch screen (worth about $900) with a Toshiba TLP-S10, for about $500 more.

The Toshiba and the Epson look to be equal on paper - both have:
    800x600 LCD
    1200 lumens
    400:1 contrast ratio
    130w 2000 hour bulb
    Up to 300 inch screen image, and about the same throw distance.

Can anyone tell me if the Toshiba is truly the equal of the Epson? (I have seen lots of good comments about the Epson, but not much about the Toshiba)

Screen door is probably the main thing I am concerned about with either of them, although if there are any "issues" with the Toshiba, I would like to find out.

If the Toshiba is as good as the Epson, I will probably go for that, as I was going to make a screen, but obviously getting a proper screen would be a much better solution.

TIA,

Alan

2. Lawrence X

Lawrence X Stunt Coordinator

400:1 contrast ratio? You'll get tired of the bad contrast faster than the screen door. I'd look at the AE300 in the $1500 price point with (I think) 800:1 CR and smooth screen technology that eliminates screen door.

If you have another $400-500 I'd look at the Panasonic AE500 that gives you 1300:1 contrast and WXGA resolution for HDTV and upscaled DVD.

And $900 for a screen seems a bit excessive for a projector in that price range. A DaLite $300 pulldown would probably work just as well, and the DaLite HCCV for $500 would be ideal for a fixed screen.

Just my 2 cents, but I know you'll stay happier with your projector longer with better contrast and higher resolution - for probably just a little more than you're looking at now.

3. Scott.T

Scott.T Agent

From Memory Alan is from New Zealand, so the prices he is quoting are in NZ$ which are worth a bit more than half US$. That's why the prices seem a bit high.

Alan,
    Harvey Norman are doing the Epson TW-10 for NZ$3499 with the free screen as well. This is what I ended up getting, and if your budget can stretch to it, is a great setup for watching DVDs. It has a number of advantages over the S1: Widescreen native, 700:1 contrast, quieter, better looking (picture and projector) and the one that convinced me to spend the extra - optical zoom which gives graeter flexability in positioning the screen and projector.

4. _Alan Preston_

Thanks for your feedback Lawrence, I agree with everything you said.

And Scott, you are absolutely correct, in fact, before even seeing your post, I had done exactly what you have recommended!. [​IMG]

My wife spotted the Harvey Norman ads, and we went in on Saturday to have a look. They didn't have the budget Epson EMP-S1, but they did have a Toshiba with the exact same specs, but $2999 ($500 more).

After getting the sales guy to set the Tosh up alongside the Epson TW-10($3499) there was no comparison - I was convinced to spend the extra and get the TW-10.
    I also convinced the salesman to upgrade me to the 120" inch screen for no extra cost, AND got another $100 dollars off the PJ, as it was the last one in shop, and had about 50 hours on the bulb.

So, for $3399NZD I got the PJ, and a $1099 (their price) screen. Got it home, set it up, and I love it.

I am not disappointed in any respect.
    I don't have a big lounge, and I am probably pushing the image size a bit with the 120" screen, as I am only about 3.5 meters back where I am sitting, but I only need to push the focus ring a tiny tiny amount, and the screendoor becomes virtually invisible.

Noticed Matrix Reloaded DVD at the local Warehouse the same day, so I got that - it looks awesome!

Scott, I can see why you decided to spend the extra. We had the sales guy set up both PJs, and cover the lens of each one in turn, so we could swap back and forth (both were receiving the same signal). Doing it like that revealed a huge difference in resolution, contrast, and colour. The TW-10 just looked a lot more natural.

Needless to say, I have spent the last 3 days watching a lot of movies with family and friends, who also needless to say, are all very impressed, and wondering why they didn't hear about front projection before.

I am now one happy camper!
    [​IMG]

5. Scott.T

Scott.T Agent

Hi Alan,

You won't regret spending the extra. I still get a smile on my face every time I put a movie on. Matrix reloaded does look great doesn't it? I enjoyed it more on the projector than I did at the theatre.

120" must look huge from that distance. I have the 100" screen, my viewing distance is about the same, and the impact of a picture that big is dazzling. When I watched the D day landing in Saving Private Ryan I was scared silly!

Sounds like you got a good deal. 50 hours is not much, especially on this model which has such cheap bulbs. I bought mine at Eastern Hifi, they matched Harvey Normans deal, but the screen was a Dalite model which is probably a bit better. I think they probably made more margin on the 12 metre high quality component cable I bought to connect it up to my DVD player.

Now I'm dreaming of a progressive DVD player...Ah this home theatre stuff is never ending...

6. _Alan Preston_

Scott,

Yes, the 120" screen does look huge - takes up most of the wall. We actually moved the seating back a bit, as it was not at the back of the room, and my wife likes it better now, not having to move her eyes around as much.

I only got an S-Video cable (6 meters long), as the component cable at H-N was about $250 dollars, and I didn't know whether it was a good quality one or not - Pudney brand from memory.

Have you had a chance to compare S-Video cable to component cable on your setup? How much difference does the component cable make?

You're right about HT stuff never ending - now I'm thinking about better cables, better DVD player, and ultimately a better sound system all round - speakers, amp etc.

Plus, one day I'd like to upgrade to a higher spec projector.

Got it bad, haven't I?[​IMG]

BTW, thanks Scott, and everyone else on HT forum who contributed to answering my questions about PJs. I got a lot more information, a lot faster, and undoubtedly a lot more objective, than I can imagine getting from any other source.
    I am absolutely happy with my purchase, and feel confidant that I got the best for my money.

Cheers, Alan.

7. Scott.T

Scott.T Agent

Eastern Hifi loaned me an s-video cable while the component one was on order. I can't say I really noticed a big difference. Component is supposed to be better, but unless you watched side by side I don't think you would notice. Both are heaps better than composite, I did notice that difference!
    My 12 metre audioquest component cable was $299, I think the s-video was about $240??
    Other than the DVD player, which is about 2 years old and has been played to death, I will probably keep my current setup untill I get a house with a dedicated HT room....then everything will need upgrading.

8. _Alan Preston_

Ok, that's kind of what I expected, although perhaps the S-Video cable I have is not very good quality, as it was only $60 for 6 meters, and I do remember the Eastern HiFi indicating that not just any s-video cable would do.

I'm gonna stick with what I've got for a while now, but it is good to be informed on what is available for when I do have the cash to upgrade.

Cheers