Toshiba TheaterWide vs CinemaSeries

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ron Biles, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Ron Biles

Ron Biles Extra

We recently suffered some water damage in our home that affected my TW40X81. I've really liked my current set and will most likely be replacing it with another Toshiba, since most of what I've read indicates I'll be happy sticking with them.

But, for those in the know, what are the differences between the TheaterWide and CinemaSeries sets. FYI, we watch a fair mix of DVD, HDTV, and cable.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

TheaterWide are 16:9, CinemaSeries are 4:3. TW sets will display HDTV with no black bars and DVD's with no or smaller black bars (2.35:1 films) than the CS. TW lets you take advantage of anamorphic DVD's, which are enhanced for 16x9. TW 4:3 programming will have bars on the sides unless you stretch or zoom it.

CS models will display HDTV in a 16:9 area of the screen with bars on the top and bottom. CS will display DVD's in the same type of area, with larger bars for 2.35:1 films. CS will take advantage of anamorphic DVD's by squeezing the full 480 lines of resolution into the 16:9 area. CS 4:3 content will display full screen.

The 4:3 picture on the CS is larger than the 16:9, vice versa for the TW. CS are lower in price than a comparable TW, but the price discrepancy is getting smaller every day.

3. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Jeff... I own a CinemaSeries, 57HDX82, and it is a 16x9 and not 4x3. Check Toshiba's Website
    for info.

Ron I am incredibly happy with my 57" CinemaSeries, my brother in law is happy with his 50" CinemaSeries and my buddy is happy with his 65" CinemaSeries. We all purchased them at the same location for a price well below that of the Theaterwide sets at other stores.

I am very happy with the stretch modes, as I/my wife watch about 60% broadcast TV via Dishnetwork. I notice little to no distortion viewing 4:3 TV. I am constantly amazed at how great the picture is. Shows like Survivor and CSI look super in non-HD. I do not have a HD receiver yet but cant wait till I can afford one.

When I was shopping for my Tosh. the Theaterwide looked good but I liked the CinemaSeries better and the price was better than that of the Theaterwide.

When you get one make sure you tweak it with AVIA and you will be happy.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I'm sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of the old designations. Bought my TW 3 years back and could have sworn the CS were all 4:3. Never mind. . .

5. Ron Biles

Ron Biles Extra

That's okay Jeff. I bought the 40" I have 3 years ago as well and I do remember that at time the Cinemas were the 4:3 sets. While doing research this time around, i noticed the Cinemas were all 16:9.

If I can find a Cinema cheaper than a TheaterWide, I'll definitely do that, but if not, what are the practical differences between the two. It's hard to determine that from Toshiba's websitew.