Toshiba SD4800 DVD player $120 DVD-A Progressive

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Ken Stuart, May 18, 2003.

1. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

Hello,

Overstock.com has the factory refurbished Toshiba SD-4800 DVD Progressive Scan player with DVD-Audio, DD and DTS converters, coax and optical digital outputs, and 6-channel analog outputs for $119.90 plus ground shipping within the US for only $2.95.

I have ordered many times from Overstock, with no problems ever. I have ordered 3 Toshiba refurbished DVD players for them, two 2800s as gifts, and this 4800 for myself (all work fine).

My only complaint is that there is no "Time Remaining" display, but I have learned to get by without it, since the performance - plus DVD-Audio - is very good for the price.

Toshiba 4800 at Overstock.com

Sound and Vision magazine review of the Toshiba SD-4800

2. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Some people on Ebay are charging even less,like this guy ,although I can't attest to the quality of the sellers.

Thanks for the review link...

Rob

3. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

I've purchased many items on ebay, but never any video or audio equipment.

The reason is that video and audio equipment can have qualitative problems. With other items, generally the thing works or not, and upon return of the item to the seller, they can verify it.

But I can imagine having bad chips that produce image or sound quality problems, that a "tin-eared" ebay seller might not be able to verify, and then you get into a difficult situation.

In contrast, a discount audio/video dealer like One Call or J&R, always has someone on the staff who can verify your problem (and in fact, such places are large enough in volume that they generally just take your word for it).

4. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

PS With ebay, always look at the shipping charge.

In the case you linked to, the shipping is

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    How is the DVD-A bass management on the 4800. I had a 4700 for a spell and the DVD-a sounded horrible because of no bass management! Or does everyone have to buy a ICBM to run DVD-A?

Wes

6. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

The 4800 does not have Bass Management on DVD-Audio, only on DD/DTS. It does have speaker level adjustments though, which seem to be in the analog domain.

So far, it seems that any DVD-Audio or SACD player that do have any Bass Management, have sound quality deterioration evident when that BM is engaged.

Since most of the reason for DVD-A and SACD is sound quality improvement, then that is counter-productive. So, if you must have Bass Management, then either wait for future products that avoid these problems, or else count on adding an Outlaw ICBM-1.

PS I have surround speakers that are small, but so far I have not had any problems playing DVD-A, but I suppose it depends on the particular disk and your particular setup.

7. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

PS I've been puzzled on how to get feedback on track number or chapter number, since the display is relatively small (part of how they keep the price down, no doubt).

I always look for a "display" button on an HT product remote.

Well, it turns out that Toshiba now calls that button "FL select". [​IMG] Hey, that's intuitive, eh? [​IMG]

That does the trick for the front panel display, if your monitor is off (audio disk), or when you don't want to disturb other viewers.

But, there is an on-screen display. And, what is this button called? "Virtual Remote". Press that button, and it pops up on the screen a "remote" that you can navigate using the arrow keys and it also pops up the title #, chapter #, and elapsed time.

Outside of the quick on-screen display, the other utility for this "Virtual Remote" is that if you have a learning universal remote that you use for your HT that has any sort of Toshiba DVD code, then you just learn that one button, and you can then control virtually all of the playback features.