What's new

Toshiba SD4700 vs. Toshiba SD5700 (1 Viewer)

peter_i

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice, Rick, but the problem with this is that I already have a cd player hooked up to my reciever through the cd inputs!! Can I instead somehow hook it up through an aux function if it exists on my recievern or is there another way? Otherwise, what's the point of having HDCD when there are, I'm sure, many others like myself that have the same setup configuration for their home theatre.

Very confusing, methinks.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I agree it's connfusing, Peter. Yes, you can use any free AUX or Tape input you might have instead the CD input. Just don't use the Phono input.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Confusing, yeah... but here's the simpliest way I can sum it up, If it sounds like normal audio, it's hooked up/setup wrong. (HDCD is an exception, I hardly hear any difference)

Peter, you can alway just "try" hooking up your dvd analog outs to your CD in (if tape an everything else is used). If the audio from your DVD player sounds better than your CD player, I'd ace the cd player.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Paul, there are a few receivers out there that offer HDCD decoding. Harman/Kardon makes some, for example.

Think of HDCD like DTS. Of course, if your receiver has a DTS decoder, you can use a digital cable (optical or coaxial) between your DVD player and receiver to have the receiver decode the DTS bitstream. If the receiver does not have a DTS decoder, you have to have one in the DVD player and run RCA cables from the 5.1-channel outputs. Likewise, if your receiver has an HDCD decoder, you can use a digital output from a CD or DVD player to let receiver do the decoding. If not, you have to use the analog outputs and have the player do the decoding.

peter_i

Second Unit
Hmmm, interesting. I tried hooking up the analog outs last from my dvd to my reciever and tried the HDCD. All it sounds to me is that the volume on hdcd is significantly lower and possibly less harsh ie. warmer as other posts have put it.

My only problem now is that I only have one set of audio outs to use for both dvd audio out to the tv AND to decode HDCD.

I'm wondering now whether it was really worth paying an extra 30 dollars for the HDCD on my dvd when it's too much trouble to hook up.

Is there such a thing as an rca splitter in which a unit's audio outs can be split into 2 sets instead of one? Will this have an adverse effect on the playback of whatever is hooked up to the audio on this splitter, if there is such a thing?

PaulKH

Second Unit
Tony wrote:

DVD-A has not delivered on the multichannel experience
You need to hear "Two Against Nature" by Steely Dan, and perhaps the new "Brandenburg Concertos" available through adagioplus.com. Both are titles that use the full surround capabilities to the max.

peter_i

Second Unit
Fleetwood Mac's Rumours just sounded loud and not very separated. It might be just older source material that sounds cruddy. It sounded good mind you, but not amazing. Thanks for the tip, paul, I like Steely Dan and will try that release and see.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
"I tried hooking up the analog outs last from my dvd to my reciever and tried the HDCD. All it sounds to me is that the volume on hdcd is significantly lower "

Peter, the volume may be lower because you have chosen to attenuate the output by 6db in SETUP. There is an option in your DVD Audio Setup for HDCD. Select "No" instead of "Yes", and the volume will be louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks