Toshiba SD4700 vs JVC XV-SA75GD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyN, Jan 21, 2002.

1. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

Toshiba = $238 shipped

JVC = $243 shipped

both have progressive scan both play dvd audio.

The toshiba does not play mp3 encoded cd-r.

Any opinions??

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

If it were my money, I'd get the Toshiba. The build quality of JVC DVD players has never impressed me, and JVC has had reliability problems in the past. The Toshiba looks to be a solid unit for the money, and some here have commented on it favorably.

3. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

I would like to here others thought on this as I am also in the market for a new dvd player. I previously had a Sony 560D non-progressive scan unit, but since I upgraded to a 57 inch Toshiba I need a new player. These were two of the ones I was considering. Any other opinions? Any other players I should look at?

4. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Stunt Coordinator

I've had the XV-SA70 for about 6 weeks now and I am pretty happy with it. I think the picture is better than my Mits DD-6000 (also a p-scan player). The only thing I am not too crazy about is that it sometimes has problems figuring out what progressive mode to go into with some movies. I usually try to leave it in the "smart" mode but with some movies I notice that it starts combing so I'll have to manually set it to film mode. Once I do that, I get a beautiful picture.

Scaling of non-anamorphic material is of outmost importance to me since I have a Mitsubishi 55805 that locks into "full" mode when fed a progressive signal. The JVC does a great job in that respect too. I was watching the older DVD release of Predator just last night and was amazed at how well this grainy non-anamorphic transfer looked. There are some movies that it will not be able to figure out correctly (Titanic comes to mind) so you will have to manually zoom it.

5. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

The Toshiba 4700 DOES play MP3 CD-R's, poorly, but it does play them.

6. RobG

RobG Stunt Coordinator

Hey Karl, I am looking at a prog. player and have a 55805 too. What do you mean by locking into full mode? Thanks.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff said:

8. Cindy B

Cindy B Extra

I just got the JVC XV-SA70BK - same model as yours but black. I am very happy with it. One reason I chose it is that it appears to have more MP-3 options than others in its price range. I chose for its features and reputation (I've not heard of any problems and I have always liked JVC)but it didn't hurt that it is a fine lookin' machine! [​IMG]

9. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

The interface is about as simple as any other. There is no on screen menu of any type. The disc is scanned and each file is a track. There are no scan functions, you can skip forward and back. This seems to be how most companies are doing it.
    Where the problem is (at least in the 3 that I tried) is the audio output is crap. I've got samples online if you want to hear the audio I captured during playback.
    http://www.geocities.com/iceweasel_14/tosh_mp3_bug.html
    give it a listen if you like. There is also output from the same source played back on a Panasonic RP56 for comparison.
    This may have been a problem with the players I tried, it seems some people experience this problem and others don't.

10. Costas

Costas Extra

Do any of these players output mp3's through the optical or co-axial digital outputs, or only to the LR analog outs? Do either have time remaining for the disc, as well as for chapters, and that ever elusive 'resume' feature that I love on my old Pioneer?

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, thanks for the info. It seems that a few DVD players are poor with MP3-encoded CDs. Although I have no first-hand experience with it, some people here have said that the Pioneer DV-440 (and presumably the DV-444) are very good with MP3 CDs. It has been said that the user interface is very good.

12. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Stunt Coordinator

13. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I was at Costco this week and saw a Toshiba SD K700 (I think) for $189. Is it the same as the 4700? thanks..

Bry

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bry, the SD-K700 is not the same as the SD-4700. The 'K700 doesn't play DVD-Audio discs. I also don't think the 'K700 is a progressive-scan player like the '4700, but I could be wrong about that.

15. John Ford

John Ford Guest

According to info from other HT sites, the JVC 60/65 and 70/75 have developed a firmware problem. It seems that JVC is saying that some of the "new" DVDs are overwriting the Eproms in the units and cousing them to lock up due to a "firmware update error". It also appears that JVC is not being very helpful in resolving the issue. They claim that the problem is not theirs but rather the way the DVDs are being made.

For this reason I would not purchase a JVC unit until the issue is resolved.

johnf

16. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kwang, thanks for the info. I was wondering if the 'K700 was the same as a different model. Maybe it's a model number that Toshiba uses for Costco and similar outlets. Some companies use different model numbers for two identical components depending on where the item is being sold. Denon is known for that. In any event, it is often said that such models are identical except for the model number, but I wonder if there are any differences under the hood.

18. Cindy B

Cindy B Extra

JohnF,
    Please post a link so I can check out that "eprom" problem you mentioned in your post. I have the SA70BK, and I have plenty of new DVDs, and I have had absolutely no problems, and no complaints whatsoever. I can't find any mention of this problem, so I would like to be enlightened.
    JohnnyN, Go to this address for a fairly lengthy discussion on the merits of the JVC payer you are considering.
    http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/F...ML/004299.html
    From my experience alone, it's a great player.

19. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Cindy B, I read that thread with great interest... I'm a bit skeptical about toshiba's bad rap, but I think I will give the JVC a go... I can't imagine that eprom problem being serious or else I'm sure we all would have heard much more of it by now.

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Johnny, truthfully, while Toshiba may have a bad rap for jagged artifacts, JVC certainly has a lackluster reputation for reliability of its DVD players. I have yet to see a JVC DVD player that shows good build quality, and that includes last year's XV-D723GD/XV-D721BK DVD-Audio player. JVC DVD-Audio players tend to get poor reviews as audio components too, though the video output is well regarded. In any event, I wouldn't write off the Toshiba player just yet. The JVC and Toshiba players are available at major retailers (e.g., Best Buy), so my feeling is that you should buy both, put them through their paces in your home (audio and video), and keep the better of the two. With Best Buy, you have 30 days to return an item for a full refund, so you have nothing to lose by buying both players for a head-to-head competition.