Toshiba SD4700 & 5700 vs. Panasonic RP-91

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Quick, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Scott Quick

Scott Quick Agent

Well, I'm ready to trade in my Toshiba SD-2109 for a new player w/ DVD-Audio.
    I was completely all for the RP-91 until just this morning when I came across some marketing release info. at the Toshiba site. Did some more looking and found that onecall.com has the SD4700 for $224. Dang. I thought $500 was good for the RP-91.
    Unfortunately Toshiba doesn't have any specs listed for the new players (SD-4700 and SD-5700). What I've found out so far about the two new Toshiba products:
    *DVD-Audio
    *SD5700 is part of CinemaSeries
    *HDCD decoding (the SD5700 only)
    *ColorStream PRO w/ Progressive Scan
    *Strobe Picture View (advanced FF scanning in which user can choose number of frames and frames/second to analyze a certain scene - i.e. examining a golf swing)
    *CD-R/RW compatible
    *MP3 capable (read direct MP3 format off CD-R/RW)
    *Front panel menu navigation (Don't need the remote! -- Exciting to someone who hasn't had this before... [​IMG] )
    *4x zoom
    *optical and coax digital outputs
    Here's a pic of the SD4700 (can't find one of the SD5700): http://www.onecall.com/PID_11619.htm
    I've become quite perterbed that the RP-91 doesn't have a coax digital output (unless I am mistaken - if so, please correct me). Why manufacturers continually choose to use inferior optical technology continues to baffle me. I don't wish to get into a semantic debate about the coax vs. Toslink issue here. Optical can without a doubt surpass electrical signals, but not in the case of Toslink. Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with optical just a problem with Toslink standards. Providing you can get a better quality plastic for use in the interconnect than the standards for Toslink call for, the optical digital output has potential in my system. (OK, sorry... off my soap box now)
    So anyhow, all the features that the Toshibas provide are really exciting to me. I've yet to find a difference between the 4700 and the 5700 other than the HDCD decoding, which at this point is not important to me as I have HDCD decoding in my Denon DCM-370 CD player. So...
    Does the RP-91 in fact have a coax dig. out?
    Does anyone else know of a difference between the 4700 and the 5700 models other than HDCD?
    As part of the CinemaSeries, does the 5700 have a better video processing chip?
    What elements define the CinemaSeries?
    Thanks for your comments,
    Scott
    >

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The SD4700/5700 should be compared to the DVD-RP61 from Panasonic. I'll think you'll find the prices between these two players are pretty close, as are the features.
    The only differences between the 4700 and 5700 is the aforementioned HDCD decoder and a silver cabinet. That's it. The 5700 is in their Cinema Series line, so it's a more 'exclusive' product that is only available at authorized Cinema Series dealers.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by JohnnyG on August 13, 2001 at 02:21 PM]

3. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
  4. Alan Wood

Alan Wood Auditioning

Scott,
    The biggest difference I have seen on the RP-91 and the new Tosh units is the RP-91 is a 54 MHz 12 bit Video DAC and the Toshiba is a 54 MHZ 10 bit. Now how much difference does this make, I don't know. I really feel the Panasonic is probably a little better but it is also more expensive. I feel you will be happy with either. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Chip
    ------------------

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

quote: I've become quite perterbed that the RP-91 doesn't have a coax digital output (unless I am mistaken - if so, please correct me). [/quote]
    The RP-91 does indeed have both coaxial and optical digital outputs. I am using the coax connection on my player. Also, I do not believe the Toshibas offer the zoom/scaling feature on the RP-91 -- I assume the zoom listed is the standard zoom feature from previous Toshiba models. I also own a Toshiba 6200 progressive player, and its zoom feature does not compare with the RP-91 if you have a 16x9 TV.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7
    [Edited last by Scott Merryfield on August 14, 2001 at 08:14 AM]

6. Scott Quick

Scott Quick Agent

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments and info.
    Now that Craig put up those links for the new Toshiba's, its easier to do a comparison. I just don't see how silver paint and an HDCD decoder can be worth another $150 (MSRP). They apparently didn't even change the video chip - seems crazy to me.
    What's the possibility that the 5700 has built in DD and DTS decoder??? I'm just trying to justify the huge price increase for them... I can't believe an extra emblem that says "CinemaSeries" is all that special.
    Scott
    P.S. Thank you for correcting me on the coax output of the RP-91. Can anyone varify JonhnyG's comments that the RP-61 doesn't have a coax output? Why wouldn't Panny list that in the features list of the RP-91???? I just don't get it.

7. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Actually the price difference between the SD4700 and SD5700 is only $50.
    Panasonic Customer Service verified the RP-61 does not have coax out.

8. Scott Quick

Scott Quick Agent

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Actually the price difference between the SD4700 and SD5700 is only $50.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Craig,
    You are so right - I am a retard... all this time I've been comparing those two numbers, you'd think I would have figured it out by now [​IMG] Thanks for pointing that out.
    quote:
    Panasonic Customer Service verified the RP-61 does not have coax out.
    UG.... that really sucks. Thanks for the info. Well, I guess its down to the two Toshiba models for me then... have to think about how "cool" [​IMG] that silver case would look on the 5700. I just can't justify spending double to get the RP-91 at this point -- Maybe when I get out of college and have a real job... Can't wait 'til they're released [​IMG] !

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

There may be a $50 list price difference between the 4700 and 5700, but I'm sure most stores won't have this wide a gap between them. Here, the 5700 is only $20CDN more.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

10. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    No Scott, you're not a retard. [​IMG] We get annoyed with prices ending with $xxx9.99, but they wouldn't do it if it didn't work. You were thinking $300 instead of $400 for the SD4700.
    Of course this time it almost backfired on Toshiba since you would have gotten the cheaper model. It would've served them right. [​IMG]

11. Will

Will Guest