Toshiba SD3950, Opinions ??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve_Ch, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Somebody local is advertising a Tos SD3950 for $78, supposedly only used a couple of times with all original accessory, doc and box. Don't know anything about the model, just want to know if aybody has experience with it and whether its a good deal. BTW, one of my DVD players is my 1st gen Tos SD2109 and I think it's almost time to retire it and replace with something a litle bit more up to date. Thanks.

2. Peter:Ki

Peter:Ki Auditioning

You can buy a brand new SD 3950 at Vanns.com for 79.98 with free shipping/no tax. I just ordered SD 4900 from them and it's great! Vann's is a very good internet vendor with a good reputation.

3. Steve_Ch

Thanks for the tip, I got another tip that the 3950 is on sale at Amazon for $69.95 with a $20 rebate, so it's net $49.95, no tax or shipping. After reading the reviews, I decided against it, because it has no optical out (apparently the spec by both Toshiba and Amazon were incorrect).

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    If your reciever doesnt have a Digital Coax input, you can get a converter at radioshack that'll convert Digital Coax to optical.

5. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

I got one for $65 AR. New. I also returned it because it was total crap. Chroma bugs galore, and no optical out even though the web site said it did. I'd say steer clear of this one.[​IMG]

6. Steve_Ch

Nick,
    I had a coax to optical out converter that I used on my Tos SD 2109. Back a few years ago, it was $30 (the 2109 was $199). I sold the gadget on EBay after I brought other players that have Op out, I think I got $15 for it. Don't know what they go for these days, but anything more than a couple of bucks will be silly for a $49 player, as once one go to $60+, there are a lot of other options.