Toshiba SD2800 vs. SD4800

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Aug 12, 2002.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Putting aside progressive scan output, dvd-audio and the jpeg viewer, does anyone think there is a difference in the video abilities - interlaced and letterbox downconversion - in these two units?

cheers,

--tom

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I've only used the 2800's downcoversion routine once and was not that pleased with the video quality. But when outputting at 16:9, it looks really, really nice. I have a 2800 in the bedroom, and am pleased for the most part. The drive motor is a little noisy, but that's a non-issue at average listening levels.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Thanks Jack, do you know who does the best with downconversion abilities? In the next year or two,I may be getting a progressive scan enabled tv but I'm thinking I may just end up upgrading when I need it. Like in the computer field, there is no need to buy things with long term future needs in mind because by then, someone cheaper, better will be out. I try to buy things with features I need now as opposed to a few years from now especially with cheaper components like dvd players are now.

cheers,

--tom