Toshiba SD-H400 at Best Buy for $100 after rebate?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scotty Parish, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Scotty Parish

Seems like a deal to me. A progressive scan DVD player/burner with 80-hr TiVo series 2 HDD.

Best Buy has it for $200 before the TiVo $100 mail-in rebate.

Is this a good deal?

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

The SD-H400 is a DVD player only, not burner. You can only record to the hard drive. Still a pretty good deal; 80 hr Tivos normally sell for $300 before rebate without the DVD player.

Keep in mind for the rebate you'll have to subscribe to the Tivo plus service for at least a few months until they process it. It's probably worth it to just go ahead & spring the $299 for the lifetime service; it makes recording much easier.

If you are considering satellite TV or HDTV recording there are better options than this box; otherwise for recording from analog/standard digital cable it's a great solution.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Now that Little Rock is being carried by DirecTV, the DirecTivo is the best deal. $39 for new customers and $79 for existing customers. $5/month covers ALL of the DirecTivos on your account.

-Robert

4. Scotty Parish

Well, Robert, you make a good point. I don't want to give up my digital cable, but I may wait for Comcast to offer DVRs here. I understand it will be soon.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Then NEVER use a Tivo. It's features and ease of use make it the best PRV on the market. I'm a long-time DirecTV subscriber but if anything ever happens to their support of the DirecTivo, I will follow Tivo (even back to cable). I find it very difficult to watch TV without it.

-Robert

6. Scotty Parish

Robert,

I may give DirecTV another look. I have compared it to Comcast digital a couple of times, in the past, and opted not to switch. Internet is not an issue, I have DSL.

Do you know what the monthly cost would be to have DirectTivo and 8 HBO and 8 Cinemax channels plus HBO and Cinemax HD channels, ESPN HD, INHD, etc. for three rooms? Probably only net the Tivo for two of the rooms.

One thing is, I don't like the idea of having a dish on my house. Don't like the Millenium Falcon look.

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Total Choice w/locals - 39.99
    HBO - 12.00 (HBO HD included)
    Cinemax - 11.00 (Cinemax HD is not carried by DirecTV at this time)
    HD Package - 10.99 (InHD is not carried by DirecTV)
    Additional two receivers - 10.00
    Tivo fee - 5.00
    Total - 88.98 + tax

My current dish is mounted on the facia board next to my roof on the back of the house. You can only see it while standing in the back yard. You will also need an antenna for local HD. Size will depend on your location.

-Robert

8. Scotty Parish

Robert,

Thanks for the quick reply. That is close to what I pay now for cable. Therefore, I don't see an economic incentive to change. The initial costs for installation and equipment (according to the DirecTV website) would offset the costs of a TiVo box ($100) and lifetime subscription ($300).

9. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You will get better equipment. Value Electronics has a pair of DirecTivos AND a multi-sat dish for $59.97. Right there you have two Tivos that can record two programs each. That would take 4 regular Tivos and 4 digital cable boxes. You also get the added benefit of recording Dolby Digital (when available) and no re-encoding of the audio/video stream. DirecTivos record directly from the dish so playback is identical to live.

Since you mentioned HD earlier, you will probably want the HD receiver. It's $299 for new customers. Robert at VE has been known to work out very good deals for members of the Tivo Community site. It wouldn't hurt to call.

You will now have the ability to record 4 shows at once while watching an HD show live. All for the same monthly price I quoted you above. Compare that to 4 Tivos ($12.99 each/month or $1,200 for lifetime) and rental of 5 (4 dedicated to Tivos and one for HD) cable boxes and you have a better deal with DirecTV.

-Robert

10. Scotty Parish

OK, I'm going to look into that a little deeper. Folks around here seem to like the Dish Network better. I'll check that out as well.

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably have additional questions after a little more research.

OK, if I email you if I do?

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If it may benefit another reader, please keep it in the thread. If you want to discuss the Hogs upcoming football season or you have time to run by my old house in west LR and ask the current owner why she screwed up the landscaping, you can e-mail me.

-Robert

12. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

I think this accounting comparison is rather over the top, very unrealistic. Surely if one is sticking with cable and money is at all an issue you aren't buying 4 SA Tivos with lifetime and renting 5 cable boxes. You let some rooms get by on just the analog tier, and just rent 2 cable boxes. One or two Tivos would surely suffice, with old VCRs handling the rare triple/quad show conflict. Sure, the DirecTV setup would have better capabilities, with quad recording capability & the full lineup on all TVs, but how often would you really need it?

Some other misconceptions in the thread --
    There is no lifetime fee involved if going the satellite rather than the standalone Tivo route; it's not offered & wouldn't be economical. It's $5/month. So startup costs for a switchover are only $40-99, rather negligible, for DirecTivo.

But since HD is involved, it would be closer to $400; you'd need the HD-DirecTV receiver. And this wouldn't allow you to record in HD, if just getting standard DirecTivo & separate HD receiver. With an HDTV set, surely if switching to DirecTV you'd want to get the $1000 HD-DirecTivo instead so you'd be able to record in HD.

To me that's the real comparison - $1000 startup costs for HD-DirecTivo, vs. waiting patiently for the Comcast DVR (which does record in HD), which will rent in the ~$10 per month range. In my case, I'm really quite torn deciding between the high cost of HD-Tivo (+ costs of installing an OTA antenna) vs. the frustration in the long wait for Comcast to roll out DVR in my area & upgrade the HD channel package (missing about a third of the OTA channels I'm interested in, + Bravo/DSCV HD.) Availability of HD content on Comcast varies considerably from area to area depending on what agreements have been reached with local broadcast affiliates & bandwidth capacity of the cable infrastracture.

The HD-Tivo is a better product than the Comcast DVRs (SA or Motorola depending on area), with much better software & more storage, but it's expensive!

13. Scotty Parish

Stephen,
    Good points. Yeah, we know about the $5/mo fee on DTV and when we talked about the lifetime option, that was for cable only.
    The good thing is that I'm not in a big hurry. I would like to decide within 2 or 3 months, however.
    I am on Comcast's email list for DVR availability notification. I didn't know it was supposed to support HD storage. That's great. I doubt the software is near as good as TiVo, though.