What's new

Toshiba SD-9500 DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Hi!,

Does anybody have any information on the Toshiba SD-9500 DVD player that is to replace the SD-9200.

When is it available and what are the specs?

Thanks for any info!,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Trevor, I read a review of the '9500 in What Hi*Fi? out of the UK a couple of months ago, but I haven't heard an ETA in North America. The British review was favorable overall, but they were somewhat critical of its performance with CDs. I started a thread based on that review awhile back. Here is a link:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=88014

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Thanks Keith!,

The SD-9200 is an excellent CD transport.
They made their judgement on one CD, so I would think
we would need to take that reveiw with a grain of salt.

Just curious as to when it will be available in North America.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Trevor, you are correct. Perhaps the old bias that "DVD players don't make good CD players" factored in as well. What Hi*Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice out of the UK have conveyed that point of view many times. I have generally been disappointed with DVD players in CD mode, but these British magazines have a clear bias.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

One of those British mags blasted CD playback on the Denon DVD-1600 and gave it three stars for audio. My old JVC 721 received one star. This runs contrary to everything I've heard from owners and other International reviews regarding the 1600. I mean, what kind of redbook playback are they expecting on a 500.00 DVD player? I am running it via analog and it sounds at least as good as the SCD-C222es and the 1802 DAC's on Redbook CD playback, and two HTF members have already said it sounds as good as the 250.00-300.00 Denon DCM-370's that they also own. I do remember the British mags trashed the Tosh 9200 as well for CD playback -something which contradicts everything I've ever heard about it here in the states.

Reg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks