1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba SD-9200 DVD Pull the Trigger?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joey Ford, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Joey Ford

Joey Ford Agent

Been searching for a quality DVD player for my HT.

I've read positive comments in various locations regarding the Toshiba SD-9200 and also good things about the Panasonic RP91.

I found the Toshiba for $542.67 delivered to my door.

Question #1:

Do you think this is a quality player for a non-high definition TV (50" Hitachi UltraVision) and will play great music?

Question #2:

Do you think this is priced well, or could I do better?

Thank you for any input.
    Joey

2. Brad Van Eerden

I bought an SD9200 for $470 at Tweeter about a month ago. I also bought a warranty because there has been a question as to some type of manufacturing defect with the transport mechanism. Of course, since I bought the warranty everything seems fine (although perhaps I haven't had it long enough). As far as the possible defect, it seems to affect a very small number as postings here about it receive very little response.

My theory was getting a top-of-the-line audio DVD player (but must add external bass managment) and a player with decent video all for below 500 bucks. (The video grade will depend on how one views its Chroma bug relative its overall picture quality. --The video was rated "very good to excellent" in the famous DVD Benchmark by the Secrets boys)

This unit, built like a tank (originaly $2k, settled in at $1200-1500 for a long time), produces superb sound that will last as long as your CD, DVD-Audio collection will.

If later on you become disenchanted with its "very good to excellent video," you can buy a 200 dollar player, a cheapo that will fulfill the anti-chroma-bug needs (like an RP56, 82 et. al.), while reserving the 9200 for top flight audio.

I find the picture outstanding but I only had a Sony DVP-C670D to compare it too (plus my TV isn't much to speak of).

I say get it if you want a long lasting audio performer, but call Tweeter first and see if they have any in stock.

3. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I've had one for quite some time and think it's a superb unit. I paid around $750 for it and thought that was a bargain then. My unit has performed flawlessly and if it has the "chroma bug" I really don't detect it on my Mits 65" Hi-Def TV.
    Go for it! [​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joey, the '9200 is an excellent component. Build quality, picture quality, and sound quality are all excellent. It is now available for a song because Toshiba will be replacing it with the '9500 later this year. The only real drawback I have read about the '9200 is a "rumbling" noise emanating from the transport, as Brad alluded to. This certainly does not affect all units, but it is something to look for. Also, the Toshiba DVD-Audio players are not the most user friendly, but it seems that owners I have run into are not terribly bothered by this. All things considered, the '9200 is a steal for $542 and change.