Toshiba SD-6915 SACD/DVD-A/DVD changer

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by TomCW, Sep 28, 2004.

1. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

I've been thinking of getting a budget uni player so that I can give DVD-A a spin. This Toshiba player is cheap enough, but I've got some questions I haven't been able to get the answers to. Hopefully someone here has one of these and can help.

1. Does this convert DSD to PCM like the cheap Pioneers do?
    2. Is the digital output active for CD as well as for DD and dts?
    3. What are the setup options for bass management, speaker distances, etc. (in SACD and DVD-A)?
    4. Is this player CD Text (or SACD Text) capable?
    5. How does it sound?
    6. Would you recommend it to a friend?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Tom

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I owned one of the first ones.

1. Yes(Toshiba said yes)
    2. Yes
    3. None. No bass management. Large and small only. No bass crossover at all said Toshiba.
    4. I think so(it's been a while though)
    5. Eh ok.
    7. No not even to my worst enemy. Mine locked up and ate a disc to start with and wouldn't let it go until I pry'd it out of the unit. This after it had major audio dropouts on DTS movies.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a more recent and positive experience but I ran a thread here and on AVS and it was filled with unhappy customers.

Also FWIW, I didn't find myself using the changer option that much. The remote sucked as well. Otherwise it seemed pretty quick on layer changes and other stuff.

If you wanted a better alternative(but more costly), then Yamaha has one coming out soon and Onkyo has one out now for $299 and their higher end line has one too(integra) for $499. The $499 one is STELLAR from the listen I gave it. Video wise I didn't have time to really put it thru its paces.

3. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Thanks Shane, I guess I was hoping for too much. There aren't enough DVD-A titles that interest me to justify the cost. I use the 'change a disc while 1 is playing' feature too much to do without a changer, although I rarely change 4 while 1 is playing.

Tom