What's new

Toshiba sd 6200 problems (1 Viewer)

Shuvayu

Auditioning
Hi,
I bought a toshiba sd 6200 dvd player about a year ago. I was genrally very satisfied with it until recently when, I started having scanning problems with some dvds. I have noticed the following problems:
(1) A dvd would not scan at all - the player kept saying that it was trying to load but never successfully loaded. In a first generation non-progressive scan Sony player the same dvd scanned immediately.
(2) A dvd scanned but the menu was unselectable, i.e. a "menu" came up with options like Song Selection/Chapter Selection/etc. but I couldn't select any of them. On pressing "Play" the dvd did not start playing. But instead, on pressing "Top Menu" in the remote, the movie started playing. Obviously, I did not have chapter scanning capability and so, had to resort to fwd/rev in the remote to scan the dvd. In a friends Sony lower-end player, the dvd menu just scanned fine.
Does anybody know of the sd 6200 having problems with certain dvds? Is there a firmware upgrade available to fix it? Toshiba does not say anything in their website about 6200 problems. Can anyone help me with suggestions?
Thanks,
-Shuvayu.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear about your problem. Mine has been problem free since I got it last year. Isn't yours still in warranty?
Good luck.
------------------
Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
hulk.jpg
3EMS Hometheater

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would occasionally have problems with my old 6200 reading a disc when initially inserted. Opening and closing the tray would always correct the problem. The problem was not repeatable, though, so I never worried about it too much. My player also froze up consistently at the same spot when viewing Rocky:SE, and had audio problems during the seemless branching on T2:UE. None of these discs were a problem on my old Sony player or new Panasonic RP-91.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
During the year that I’ve used the 6200 I’ve had difficulties playing two titles so far, the second disc of “Seven” freezes when selecting different audio modes during the opening tittle sequences, the only solution is to pull the plug to power cycle the unit and avoid that section, the second trouble disc is the “Avia” calibration disc, I get the same problem with the menu that you described (not always), solution is to turn on the “subtitles” to brings back the menu selecting capabilities.
I haven’t seen many complaints with this particular Toshiba model other than some highly technical shortcomings.
I’ll check T2 I don’t think I used this player when I first got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks