Toshiba SD-5960 question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DonnyD, Apr 16, 2004.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

About to change out my dvd player from the Tosh 4700 and am looking at the SD5960.....question is about the HDMI upconversion..... does it do a good job? What are some of the alternatives?

2. DaveSp

DaveSp Agent

DonnyD -

There is a lot of discussion over at the AVS Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=5960

I picked it up to replace my Samsung HD931, which has terrible PQ for me (bad black crush over DVI). I am using a HDMI-DVI cable to connect the Tosh to my Toshiba 51H83. The picture is incredibly better. I'll keep it, even with its shortcomings.

Dave

3. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

DaveSP, what do you think of the build quality? I know it is an all-plastic player like the others from this year, but I was just curious what you thought of it.

4. DaveSp

DaveSp Agent

I've seen the complaints about the plastic in the case, etc. But since I'm setting it up in one place and not moving it then I'm not worried about destroying it. I've had a Tosh 2109 for some years now and never had a problem with it.

Every disadvantage I've seen is outweighed by the great PQ.

Dave

5. Jeremy Little

Some have stated that the HDMI > DVI cable does not pass blacker than black. What is your experience with that?

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I don't see how that's even possible. It's a simple pin->pin adapter. There's no signal conversion or processing going on at all.

7. DaveSp

DaveSp Agent

Maybe I'm biased after the HD931 black crush problem but it sure looks good to me. That's all I ask of it.

Dave

8. Jeremy Little

I hear you on that, I went from a DVD-HD931 to a Bravo D1 and cannot stand the loading issues on the Bravo. Looking for something better, but I'll be damned if Toshiba went and screwed up the aspect ratio control. I have 2 options on DVI with my tv, wide(pc) and wide(tv). Non-anamorphic or 4:3 titles suck as they are stretched. I did get to play with one of these today at work and I enjoy the picture quality immensely. I played a little of Matrix Revolutions and Stargate Ultimate Edition and I am VERY impressed. Too bad about the aspect thing..

9. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I have returned the 5960 and replaced it with the 3960..... The BB salesman had told me that the 5960 upconverts the HDMI AND Colorsteam, which was of course, misleading......and since I do not intend to upgrade my current HDTV, I went with the 3960.... I was able to a-b several movie clips and there appeared to be no difference in PQ.........and the 3960 allowed me to toggle betweem interlaced and progressive on the fly........
    Build quality is just ok since it doesn't have to do more than sit there. Looks good and plays great... better pic than my older 4700 Tosh.....but that remote could be better. The 3960 was only $65 and the 5960 was $189.... but unless you're HDMI compliant, it's not worth the extra money!

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

This is a *digital* transmission. You can't just cut out a chunk and expect to get a signal on the other end. It's like using one of those boxes to convert an optical audio signal to coaxial. The signal out the other end is identical to the original.

11. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Interesting, DaveSp, that you obviously are not having any of the HDMI connectivity issues some users are experiencing on some sets and that have apparently led Tosh to recall this player . . .

-p

12. DaveSp

DaveSp Agent

I still have the 5960 and it's been great. Other than the Pirates problem I haven't seen a thing and I've watched a lot of discs (I have over 600). The picture is beautiful. Using the URC-200 universal remote takes care of the lousy remote problem (I concur with that one).

Dave

13. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

DaveSp - did you get the letter from Toshiba? They sent me a letter offering me a full refund on my SD5960, they're paying shipping, etc.

14. DaveSp

DaveSp Agent

No. When I first heard about the recall I called Toshiba and got the info then. But I haven't felt compelled to return it and I'll never use that Samsung HD960 again.

Dave

15. DaveSp

DaveSp Agent

Oops - meant to say Samsung HD931.

Following the threads over on AVS Forum it's interesting to see that the new Samsung 841 also has the black crush problem over DVI. Didn't they learn anything with the 931?

Dave

16. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Bump.

Jonty, I guess you registered your player with Tosh by sending in the card and that's how they had your address to send you the 5960 recall letter??

Do you by any chance still have that letter? What reason did it state that the 5960 was being recalled for?

-p