What's new

Toshiba SD-5960 HDMI 1080i Output (1 Viewer)

James_SCEA

Agent
I just recently purchased this Toshiba SD5960 (200$)and was under the impression that it would output 720p or 1080i from the Component video outputs, not just the HDMI. Upon contacting the Tech Support team, they advised that it was HDMI only.

My Panasonic HD Tube has a DVI Input, and I found that Monster cable makes a HDMI to DVI Conversion cable (100$/1m). My question: Should I invest in a different player that outputs 1080i through the components or would this HDMI output be just as good as one that has a DVI output? I've heard that the DVI output on some players is not always as good as the 1080i Component out; is this true?

Thanks in advance,
JC

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
This Toshiba is widely considered to be generally (how can I be nice) not very good. I thought I heard it had been recalled (someone correct me). I'd take the thing back and buy and LG or Zeinith that does 1080 over component with no white crush issues.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
It's generally the other way around, really. Converting HDMI to DVI takes a simple adapter (no 'brains' required), so that Monster cable sounds horribly overpriced.

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered a 5 meter HDMI-HDMI cable from pacificcable for $42, ($52 shipped). They have 5 meter DVI-HDMI for the same price. 1 meter s/b a lot cheaper. It's a digital signal, and without trying to start a cable argument, I'd say big bucks to send bits is not necessary - Monster is ripping you off.

I have the Toshiba 5960 also, and I'm alarmed by the stories of a recall. I've used mine just 4 or 5 times so far, using the component outputs to a Sony HS3 LCD projector until the HDMI cable gets here. While I would agree that the Toshiba 5960 seems pretty flimsy, (only 3 1/2 lbs), I haven't had a performance issue with it yet. The remote does need to be aimed right at it, and it did skip on one bit of T3, but no probs on Gladiator or LOTR2. Is this just a case of AVSForum hysteria?

AFAIK, DVI is just HDMI without the audio signal, and with a different shaped connector - no difference. I thought about returning the Toshiba to get a DVI machine instead, but there aren't really any of them around either. I'm leery of the ones that are out - Zenith, Samsung, etc, (I used to work for Zenith once upon a time).

James_SCEA

Agent
Thanx for the info guys, it is good to know that there is an alternative to a 120$ cable to convert the HDMI to DVI. I just ordered the cable. I'm alarmed however, regarding the recall issues. Can someone please explain why they are recalling the player? I've used mine for a few days now and it seems just fine.

I just purchased a digital video essentials disc: can someone please clarify white crush and/or any other type of relevant "crush"?

Thanks
JC

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
When you cannot detect the difference between steps of brightness at the top of the scale - for example, 90% brightness looks the same as 100% brightness - we call this "crushed whites" or "white crush". Same goes for the blacks...10% brightness looks the same as 5% brightness, looks the same as 0% brightness (black)..."crushed blacks".

This can be caused by either the source device (ie, DVD player) or by the display.

James_SCEA

Agent
Thanx for the info JohnnyG, I totally understand it when it is explained in lamens terms. I won't be getting the cable until next week from PacificCable.com.

I've heard of problems with converting HDMI to DVI - such things where the video quality is not as good as a direct HDMI to HDMI connection compared to HDMI to DVI; is this a known issue?

What are the specific reasons that this player has been recalled, is this confirmed by the manufacturer? I was unable to locate any information on the Toshiba website.

Thanks for the feedback,

JC

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
I just got off the phone with first my dealer, (they also heard about a recall but have no info from Toshiba yet), then the local Toshiba repair guy, (no idea but gave me Tosh cust service phone#), and finally Toshiba customer service, (knew nothing about any recall notice on that model #).

I'm hoping it's just alarmism over at the AVSForum.com but my unit has displayed some reluctance to accept some DVDs and to react to instruction either from the remote or from the front panel. We'll see.

There are so few alternatives out there to take a direct digital signal to a digital TV ot projector, that I don't want to return the 5960. I believe Sony and the others will be releasing their HDMI machines in the Fall, but I don't want to wait that long. If I had a good DVDP with component out, I would try to get a refund and wait for reinforcements, but I don't. I would be back to my already stopgap $35 Mintek, (which has actually provided sterling service for about a year now while I was making up my mind what to buy, but that's another story).

David Judah

Screenwriter
Since it is just changing the connector and no signal conversion is taking place, I can't imagine that there is any degredation.

DJ

CoreyLa

Auditioning
I have the 5960, bought it about 2 weeks ago. It is malfunctioning so I decided to bring it back to BestBuy where I bought it. They informed me that there indeed was a recall on it because the up conversion didn't work right. I would have to believe this since when I bought it they had about 12 of them on the shelf and when I went back this weekend there wasn't even a spot for them. This would explain why some DVD's would still have the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen on my HDTV. I still have it because the Home Theater Manager there said they should get the new ones from the recall in a couple of weeks or more. He also stated that since I have the 2 year protection plan, I can trade it in at any time during that period. I would not buy one in the near future unless you're sure it is after the recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks