Toshiba SD-4900

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChadLB, Oct 12, 2003.

1. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Does anyone use this player? Is it worth the money or are there better players out there for the money?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Nobody owns this one or the 3900?

3. JohnSterling

JohnSterling Stunt Coordinator

Try doing a search for 3900. Lots of info there.

I had a 4800...which was a DVD-Audio capeable version of the 3800 at the time. I would assume now that the 4900/3900 is the same.

In the end I chose the JVC 50BK...only because I could never get my HDTV to deal with the 0 black the 3900 outputs. The JVC has a very tweakable interface and outstanding picture...but poor zoom and its now infamous pan-stuttering.

4. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I have the 3900. Good player! I really like Toshiba dvd players. It can be a little noisey when playing some mp3 discs, but other then that great player. I like the fact that you can zoom out, great for vcds. Good player for the price!

5. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I have a 3900...

No probs yet. I noticed BB sold out.

6. Mason Y

Mason Y Extra

*bump*

Does anyone have any info on the SD-4900? I've searched everywhere and there is very little info on this player.

7. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Yeah, I have one.

Great for film based material. Not so hot with video based stuff - it combs like crazy, unfortunately.

No chroma bug (all newer Toshibas have this fixed). Very responsive for a Toshiba player (which have always been somewhat slow).

Quite drive mechanism.

No aspect ratio control, which is somewhat odd.

Haven't tried out the DVD Audio.

I'll probably return it, as I really want aspect ratio control, and the combing is unacceptable.

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

We are kinda of a Toshiba fam,and have several players including the older 2109, 1200, 4700......and my older son just bought a 4900 and so far it has played all thrown at it...... including both recordable dvd formats.... I haven't heard him say anything negative so far about it as he really puts a player through its paces to check'em out......... he's a really picky business phone consultant for Lucent..........

9. Mason Y

Mason Y Extra

"No aspect ratio control, which is somewhat odd."

I was just playing with one at the store and in the menu there were 3 different settings. 2 different 4:3 options (can't remember what they were) and 16:9. Is this considered aspect ratio control or no?

Thanks for the input!

10. Kwang Suh

No, what I mean is that material that has an aspect ratio of 4:3 can be viewed properly on a 16:9 TV's full mode.

11. Christopher_H

Christopher_H Stunt Coordinator

I have this DVD Player and I think it works great. I bought it mostly so I can have the capability to play DVD-Audio.

I'm not sure what "combs like crazy" means, but every movie I put in to view on my Sony television looks great. I'm very happy with it for the money I spent for it.

12. Kwang Suh

Not with movies.