What's new

Toshiba SD 3960... Opinions needed (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have a chance to pick up a Toshiba 3960 tomorrow for a very good price. Anyone have good or bad input on that model? I have a Toshiba 5109 in my theater room and have had no issues or problems with it since I bought it a couple years ago. The 3960 will go in my bedroom on a 20" Wega if I get it.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Its a decent basic player... better reliability than the no-name china-made players, but maybe not as versatile (those chinese players'll play everythign you throw at them).

However, the main thing with the 3960 is its Redbook audio CD sound quality. The AudioAsylum.com forums have been raving over this player and its predecessorthe 3950 for its great CD audio, even straight out of the box without mods.

If you're needing a spare player, and can get it for cheap (ive seen them sell for like $45 at Amazon), i'd definitely recommend it.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thanks Nick. I picked up two of them today - one for the living room and one for the master bedroom. I put a 20" Sony Wega in the bedroom last night and put one of the Toshibas on it. It's great because my wife can lay in bed on on the sofa and watch Dawson's Creek while I'm in the theater room doing some serious LOTR viewing! :D

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up this player and besides the cheap remote and awfull display - it plays store bought dvd's well... as far as dvd+r it is pretty crappy - on two that I made copies of the video is very choppy.

jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks