What's new

Toshiba SD 3800 Black Level / Contrast (1 Viewer)

StephenWhitaker

Auditioning
Hi,

I have a Toshiba 40X81 16:9 rear projection tv and until recently used it a Toshiba 2109 DVD player. Lately however, I purchased a Toshiba SD-3800 progressive scan DVD player but have been horribly unimpressed. From what I see the black level is not right, and there is definite detail loss. I really hope it's a configuration problem.

With the 2109 the picture quality had been very good ( I guess I couldn't notice any deinterlacing artifacts, potentially I don't know what they are). Anyway, assuming that a progressive scan dvd player would remove most deinterlacing artifacts and produce a slightly crisper picture, I purchased the SD-3800. Sadly, I did this before doing enough research (chroma upscaling etc).

I have tried to find the black-level adjustment for the SD-3800 but was unable. Can someone tell me how to adjust the black level? What I notice is that in progressive mode, the blacks are more like dark grey, I assume that setting the black level can help fix this problem?

However, my guess is, even if I fix the black-level but still see a loss in detail, I'm going to have to return the player and continue to use the 2109 until I find a player (such as a Panasonic) which will provide the experience I suspect.

Thank you for any help or experience you may have had with a similar setup.

Steve

Don Munsil

Stunt Coordinator
7.5 IRE is not the "industrial standard" for progressive video. 0 IRE is the standard for progressive component (and interlaced component, for that matter).

7.5 IRE is only the standard for US interlaced NTSC via composite, RF, or S-Video. NTSC in other countries uses a 0 IRE standard, as does PAL and SECAM in all countries. NTSC over component is also standard at 0 IRE, which is why Mike's RCA DirecTV receiver is correct. The Toshiba is correct on the interlaced output, but wrong on the progressive output. And it doesn't have a black level adjustment.

However, Mike's advice is on the money. You need to adjust your TV's brightness level to compensate. A small investment in the Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc will provide all the test patterns you need to get a good calibration.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks