What's new

Toshiba SD 3109 Enhanced Black Level (1 Viewer)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I know others have asked this before but I felt that there was no definitive answer for a person with a setup like mine in those previous threads. I have had my Toshiba for over 3 years now and have been running it without the "Enhanced Black Level" enabled. Now from previous threads I have gathered that means that the player outputs 0 IRE. I have not used that setting because it seems to make the picture too dark and when I increase the TV's brightness to compensate it seems like there is a loss of detail in shadows. However colors become much more vibrant. I have not yet calibrated this TV but I just ordered the lower priced Sound and Vision Tune Up disc. I know it doesn't have all the tests of the Avia but I figured on my more low end setup I won't miss them. I'm wondering if when I get the Sound and Vision disc whether I should be calibrating with the enhanced black level on or off. Although I said it appears to lose detail with it on I am not happy with my current settings because the set does not seem to hold black that well. I am using a 31 inch RCA with S-Video. I don't know the model number but I am pretty sure it is their lowest priced set with S-Video. I will probably try calibrating it both ways but I would appreciate any input.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Hey mods do I have this in the right forum or should this go under video sources since I listed a specific player in the topic?

Don Black

Screenwriter
I always liked the enhanced black level... I'm not a videophile though so it's purely subjective to me.

Users who are viewing this thread