Toshiba SD-2109 trouble

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredClaridge, Jan 25, 2003.

1. FredClaridge

FredClaridge Auditioning

I just tried to play a dvd this morning and the machine said "disc error." I made sure there was clean disc in there(5 or 6 of them) and it still won't load. Any ideas what is going on? Help!!!!

Fred

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Without knowing your viewing habits, it's hard to say. The SD-2109 is an older machine, and if you've been running the thing a lot it could be that the player is in its terminal phase. Often, the laser assembly is one of the first internal components to go.

Did you play the machine a lot on a daily basis (as in several hours per session)? Also, has the machine been well cared for—i.e., kept clean and dust-free?

3. FredClaridge

FredClaridge Auditioning

Yes we watch it a lot. It is housed in my ent. center. It is well taken care of and kept out of a dusty environment. I just got done taking the cover off and checking it out. It seems the disc does not spin as the laser is trying to read it. Hence the error message, I'm assuming.

Fred

4. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Hey Fred,

I had the same problem with an old RCA 5200P DVD player. I would insert a disk and the motor would not spin. I unplugged the player and popped the lid off. It was not all that dusty inside but it had a little. I took some can air and cleaned the insides. When I hooked it back up it started working perfectly again. I am not sure if it was the dust or if it reset its logic circuits when I unplugged it. You might try dusting it out and then re-plugging it back in. It might come back to life.

It seems like many people here don't have good long term reliability with DVD players. I have friends who have to buy one every year or so. Every DVD player I have own has continued to work without major issues. The problem with my RCA is about the biggest problem I have had. It is now 6 years old and back in its day it was used 4 or 5 times a week. Depending on the season twice that much. I also have a Panasonic A112 third generation player and it works just fine as well.

I have noticed most of my friends like to jump to different chapters and watch the extras over and over again. These people are the ones who buy DVD players every year. 99% of the time I just watch the movie. I noticed the optics move around less when you just watch the movie. As crazy as this sounds I believe watching the extras actually kills your DVD player.

5. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Remember, too, that the technology was still in its infancy during the 2109's (and the 3109's) heyday. And it's true, less-than-top-end DVD players are a bit touch-and-go when it comes to long-term reliability (especially if one uses the machines as a CD player as well). It's an issue that has deserved a comprehensive feature story in one of the A/V magazines.

7. FredClaridge

FredClaridge Auditioning

I'm looking at getting a replacement dvd player. I looked at the toshiba sd 2815 5-disc changer. It looked like a pretty good deal at $150. Can you give a little input in case I missed anything? Thanks

Fred