What's new

Toshiba RPTV's poor 540p upconversion... (1 Viewer)

Chris_MJ

Agent
I have ordered a Toshiba 42h81 widescreen TV. An issue has come up and since it is not too late to cancel my order, I need some advice. I read that the 540p upconversion is a problem and that it softens the images on the screen. Can anyone with these sets tell me what you think? Also will a progressive scan DVD player alleviate this problem? I was told to get a Panasonic RP56, is this a good DVD player?

Also, I am a little concerned about this the size? To people with the 42h81 does the TV look bigger when it is in your viewing area?

Lastly, does anyone here in Toronto know where I can see a 42h81 fully calibrated on display so I can get a better idea of what it looks like? The storeroom displays look awful.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

A 480P DVD player will not alleviate this softening issue. Only 1080i signals will not be affected.

It is hard for an owner of the set to be able to tell you since they need a point of reference. So unless they have two different sets at home, they won't know the difference nor what to look for.

For them, that is just the way it is supposed to look ... and why would they think otherwise.

Suffice it to say that the degradation is real and varies in intensity between sets ...

If you feel you can live with it ... then buy the TV. But question ... why would you if the competition doesn't do it.

Kinda like getting 85 Octane gas labeled as 87 Octane ... but you knew you could just go across the street and get true 87 octance gas ...

Now regarding size ... in no time at all, the TV will suddenly seem too small ... and you will kick yourself for not going bigger ... especially considering that the 50" is only $100 more.

Regards

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Chris, I don't think you have too much to worry about. I have a 50H81 (exactly the same except for size) and have been very happy with it--I'm actually selling it because I'm moving and won't have the space for it, which is really bumming me out. First off, regarding the 540p upconversion, it depends on what your source material is. On my set, analog cable looked really awful compared to my old analog 27" set, but this was really because it was "garbage in, garbage out". As bad as it was, it still looked about a thousand times better than it did on showroom floors. I switched over to DirecTV shortly afterwards and the results were much better. I especially like the TheaterWide 1 mode which expands 4:3 material to fill the screen, and now use it exclusively for all regular satellite TV viewing.

On DVDs the picture is spectacular, especially with progressive scan players. I have three players: Panny RP56, JVC XV-SA75GD and the Malata. The Panny looked best to my eyes--no problem with the 540p upconversion. Don't know about high-def performance as I haven't got a receiver for it yet.

Whether or not the 42H81 will be too big for your viewing area depends on the size of your room. I have my set in a large room and sit about 9-10 feet away from it. I'm actually considering downsizing to a 42H81 myself, as I'll only be sitting about 6-7 feet from the set once I move into my new place.

By the way, my set has never been ISF calibrated--I did all my adjustments with the aid of Avia, but I did do the SVM disable and convergence in the service menu. Unless you have a really small space, I'd think that the 42H81 would be a superb choice.

Chris_MJ

Agent
Thanks for the input.

I called the place where I bought my TV to ask if they have a bigger size, they said they have a Toshiba 50h82. They said it is this years model. I have looked around but cannot find such a model number. Does it exist?

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I heard the new xxH82 models will display 480p natively and NOT upconvert to 540p like the xxH81 models.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
That model number should be 50H81.

There have been no announcements yet on 2002 models but availability wouldn't be until August and the very earliest.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
There is just no way of adding one scan line for every eight without softening the image and making some tiny artifacts.

Scanning upward to large multiples (like people with powerful CRT front projectors do) is actually less 'aftifacty' than a 'close' scale like 480->540.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I'm curious as to what Toshiba year sets do the upconversion to 540p. I have a 65h80 manufactured in December 2001. Does my set upconvert? I've never heard that.

Peace,

DM

Chris_MJ

Agent
Well I called Toshiba Canada and my HT dealer and the 50h82 is being released in July. In Canada it is $300 more than the 42 inch widescreen and it sounds like it is worth itfor the extra 8 inches. Apparently it doesn't do the 540p upconversion. So anyone considering this TV should wait till July.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks