Toshiba RPTV smearing problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Flasshe, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Flasshe

Flasshe Agent

I've got a 2-year old Toshiba TW40X81 RPTV that is suddenly experiencing a smearing/streaking problem. High contrast areas (dark meets light) cause a trail extending a few inches off to the right. This is most evident on text, but is also very obvious on things like the animated eyes of the South Park kids: the small black dots in the middle of their large white eyes make gray trails pointing to the right. It happens with all input sources and display modes, and is even evident with the white-on-gray text on the Toshiba's menu.

The set is under an extended warranty, but the local in-home service people that the warranty company deals with can't make it out here until 12/18. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for fixing or lessening this problem in the meantime? It's really annoying. Thanks.

BTW, this same set had a problem a couple of months ago where it looked like the "horizontal hold" was going crazy while the set was warming up. It got worse and worse over time and took longer to snap back to normal. The technician replaced two chips and that seemed to fix the problem, though the set didn't seem to really be completely in focus after that. (When I originally got the set, I had it ISF calibrated -so much for that- and the SVM disabled.) It almost looks like the new problem is related to that one, since they are both causing horizontal picture distortions?

--Rog

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

This is video circuit problem, probably in the later stages that drive the CRT(s). It is more likely to be found as the set ages. It is related to black level retention, when a quick light to dark transition is needed during a scan line, the TV cannot or does not dim down the electron beam until several more inches' worth of scan line has been painted.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Flasshe

Flasshe Agent

Follow up: The technician thinks the problem is the comb filter and has ordered the part, which I now have to wait (probably till after the holidays) for them to get in. I just learned on Home Theater Spot that the comb filter is usually bypassed for anything other than composite video, yet this problem is happening on all inputs, which I didn't make obvious to the repairman. Aaargh. Guess I better give them a call...

This does not give me a lot of faith in the repair company...

--Rog

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I just switched from satellite to digital cable and noticed the exact same thing on my Toshiba 43" set. Running the S-Video cable directly to the TV (used to run through my A/V receiver) fixed the problem.

There was no problem with the satellite receiver, so I can only assume there is something 'different' about the signal the digital cable box (SA 2000HD) is sending out.