Toshiba RPTV Calibaration Questions!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chad Viro, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Chad Viro

Chad Viro Stunt Coordinator

Hello All!
    Well, I finally got my first-ever Home Theater setup this weekend, and I have a few questions. Here are my HT specs:
    Speakers: Axiom M60Ti's, VPN150, QS8's (3 aura bass shakers in series with 100w PartsExpress Amp)
    Receiver: Denon 3803
    DVD Player: Denon 2200
    TV: Toshiba 57H82 RPTV

After running the Video Essentials DVD for the first time (with repeat viewings of some areas I was/is confused about), I have a few questions I am hoping someone could answer. So here goes!

VIDEO SETUP:
    1. When running the video setup section, do I want to set the contrast/brightness so that the three stripes on the side are 'just' visible? What I got from the video is that the outside line should be engulfed into the background, and I should still see the other two vertical stripes.

2. When setting up the color using the red/green/blue filters, I am able to get the blue and red filters 'almost' perfect (so that all the blocks are fluid through-out the screen); however, looking through the green filter, it looks horrid! The blocks are OBVIOUSLY not fluid with eachother.

Thanks!! Hope someone can help me!

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

You cannot use the red filter on the Toshiba. There is no access to the color decoder.

It's only the blue filter here. The R/G filters simply tell you stuff that you cannot change anyway.

The interpretation of the brightness is correct. Make the blacker than black disappear into the background. The second dark bar is there incase your DVD player cannot display blacker than black ... aka the darkest bar.

Recommend you use both chap 2 and 3 as your guide to setting up brightness ... with chap 3 getting the higher weight.

No pattern here really tells you where to set contrast ... only where not to set it. You need a light meter to set it up correctly.

Regards

3. Chad Viro

Chad Viro Stunt Coordinator

Hello Michael:
    Thanks a lot for the information, I really appreciate it! I consider myself to be a pretty smart individual, however, this Video Essentials DVD makes me feel like a dumb-dumb!