What's new

Toshiba response to DVI/HDCP encryption (1 Viewer)

RichieL

Auditioning
After I E-mailed Toshiba customer service about Toshiba's stand on DVI/HDCP I was referred to their 800-631-3811 number. I spoke with Susan. I asked her to respond to my concerns about support for DVI/HDCP making current Toshiba HDTV sets unable to display HDTV programming. She responded that all their HDTV's were "HDTV ready". I pointed out that in the future, unless their TV's had DVI/HDCP or firewire connectivity, HDTV signals would be downconverted to SDTV. She agreed that this was true. She also admitted that there are currently no plans for an upgrade for current models. She said that DVI/HDCP compliant models would be available early next year. I found a similar response on a thread at AVS.
It looks as though it may be smarter to wait for the new models next year. As for the owners of current models you'll have to get a whole new TV if you want to view DVI/HDCP encrypted content in full Hidef. Full implementation may not take place until late 2002. For now this applies only to satellite and cable. Who knows if this will eventually include OTA signals.
AVSforum :Toshiba response

Devin Rowe

Auditioning
This is not good. I was planning on buying a Toshiba 50H81 this December. I've already had to wait a year due to other circumstances, I really don't want to wait another year. I may have to now.
furious.gif

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I've been waiting for 10 YEARS for a decent TV, and I was about to spring for one of these Toshibas in the next couple of months.
This is depressing. You would think it would be easy to wait another year, but it's not. I'm finally ready!!
sigh

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I was going to pull the trigger and go with the Toshiba 50H81 or 50HX81 but it looks like I'll be waiting another year.
Oh well.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
According to Gary Merson in the latest HDTV Insider newsletter, this will only affect HD signals from satellites. If all you get or is interested in is OTA local HD broadcasts, you should not worry. This is according to him.
Personally, I hope this means there will be discounted "analog only" units soon.
/Mike

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I have been watching HDTV and recording it since January of last year.
In my opinion, the movies producers do such a poor job of photography and film preservation that many of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference between their HDCP copy protected content and the equivalent DVD though a high quality image processor. Let them copy protect it and downrez it for all I care. They will just be hurting their own sales. They never learn.
For the most part, I find movie watching just as enjoyable at scaled up 480P as I do from what HBO is showing in HDTV and better in many cases because the DVD is in the proper aspect ratio.
On the other hand, sports is fantastic in HDTV and all the CBS college games will be shown in HDTV this season.
Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks