1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba Regza 1080p 42" LCD

Discussion in 'Displays' started by NateS, Aug 21, 2006.

1. NateS

NateS Agent

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the tv I mentioned in my subject, manf. model 42HL196. I work at Sears, and we just got this set in. I decided to hook it up to the Toshiba HD-DVD player that we had on display. It got hooked up through HDMI, and the HDDVD player is kicking out 1080i.

First off, we previously have Tosh's 720p plasma with the HD player, so I was expecting a bit of an upgrade in picture quality. Let me tell you, I was blown away. I'm not sure if any other stores carry this TV, but the PQ on the HD movie trailers is just amazing, esp. King Kong and Batman Begins.

Wasn't sure if anyone knew anything about this set, or had seen it anywhere else...

Nate

EDIT: Found it at Best Buy, but strangely, Toshiba's website doesn't list this model at all...

2. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

1080p over 720p is quite an upgrade, much more than a lot of people would expect.

3. jspace22

jspace22 Auditioning

it takes the 1080i signal and internally upconverts it to utilize the 1920x1080 display. Generally 1080i & 720p have one million pixels. It take those signals and upconverts it to the two million pixels it can display. It won't take a straight 1080p input, probably because there's no way around the upconverter. I don't see a problem with this. It actually helps. Plus this is one of the few who offer PIP.[​IMG]

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    That's not correct. 1080i has the same # of pixels as 1080p. Only, they are present in the signal in a different order. No upconversion takes place to put it on a 1920x1080 screen.
    A 720p signal has less resolution indeed.

Cees

5. jspace22

jspace22 Auditioning

I stand corrected, 1080i has a 1920x1080 resolution.