What's new

Toshiba problem: Red colors show line artifacts (1 Viewer)

JasonRH

Second Unit
I have the Toshiba 32HFX72 direct view and when there is a red object/menu (anything with a uniform red field) displayed on the screen there are lines that go through the object like the picture is exhibiting some kind of noise. A friend has the same problem on his Hitachi RPTV. Red is the only color that shows this distortion. Any ideas on what the problem is and if it can be fixed/reduced?? Thanks a lot.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That's "shimmering." And it occurs whenever there's chroma oversaturation. And it's an example here of "red push." Short of performing service-menu corrections, the only thing you can do now is to reduce the overall chroma level—but, of course, that washes everything else out.

Tell me, Jason, does this set perform the 16:9 "squeeze" with 480p sources? Toshiba's Website only mentions a 1080i 16:9 mode. (OEM Websites are so damn inadequate. I always have to end up calling the companies. And even then no one answering can answer any questions.)

JasonRH

Second Unit
Jack,
Thanks for the reply. The odd thing is that there really isn't any red push on this set. I've calibrated with Avia and the color bar tests show red around 0-5%. I was surprised at how well it looked, actually, having owned Wegas before and having bad red push(that was correctable through the service menu).

does this set perform the 16:9 "squeeze" with 480p sources?

Yes, it does perform the squeeze on 480i/p. The website description, as you said, was misleading to me as well. I had to try it out at the store before I bought it since nobody could give me an answer. It's a beautiful set and the 2 I looked at had excellent geometry, which was refreshing.

Another question: would the calibration I did with Avia only be applicable to the input I calibrated, ie. the component input the dvd player is connected to? Should I hook my Dvd player to each input and calibrate separately? Come to think of it the only time I've noticed the "shimmering" is when watching cable through an RF connection (though it may be present on other inputs/sources). Maybe the problem is there?
Anyway, thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks