What's new

Toshiba Preference setup question / Setup for "Movie" Mode (1 Viewer)

Rich_F

Auditioning
Hi all.
Got my Toshiba 42H81 on Sat, and I'm generally liking it. I have one issue / question I'd like to pose, though:
I've read in 1 or 2 places that switching to "Movie" mode turns off (or at least minimizes) SVM. I'm interested in opinions on whether that's right, but my real question doesn't hinge on that issue.
My real question is: is there a way to save non-default preferences in "Movie" mode (or any mode other than "Preference")?? When I go into the menu, and go into Picture setup, I can (of course) switch to "Movie" mode. But, if I try to adjust any of the default settings, the "mode" switches back to "Preference". Put another way, it seems like I can't adjust contrast, brightness, etc. in movie mode; as soon as I make a change to a setting, I'm taken back out of Movie mode and plopped in Preference mode.
Thoughts / ideas / comments?? Is it me or the TV? Am I simply too dumb to own a TV?? :)
Thanks in advance.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
But, if I try to adjust any of the default settings, the "mode" switches back to "Preference
That is how it works, if you start in Movie mode then it will go back to Preference but since that is where you started from then it should disable SVM.

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
You can save preferences, using one of the user selections.

However, I am not sure this will disable your SVM, since Movie is no longer selected in that case.

After a stem to stern calibration, the need to defeat SVM is markedly reduced. Disco'ing it is not a priority in my calibrations, tho most of my customers have it defeated already, before I get there.

The way to defeat it is to either disco the coils on the neck of the CRT - yellow and white, I believe - and/or disco the power going to the SVM board, whose wires are NOT the shielded ones, which are the signal wires.

I am a licensed service tech, so I let my customers do that undoing rather than get my license in jeopardy. Legally speaking, I do not ever recommend anybody go inside an RPTV, due to electrical shock hazards. If you do go inside, make sure your set is UNPLUGGED anytime you have your front cover off, unless you are willing to take your life in your hands. Even then, there may be residual HV waiting for the uncareful.

Either way, calibrations done by myself and the great calibrators on this board make their sets sizzle and sing, whether the SVM is disco'd or not. Just like re. "doing the duve", I do not consider disco'ing SVM or doing the duve to be THE top priorities, tho each of those 2 ops does make a noticeable difference.

Mr Bob

Craig

Second Unit
Movie mode is a preset mode and can't be changed. As mentioned, the point of starting in Movie Mode is that the settings for Movie Mode, including the hidden settings for features like SVM, will be loaded into preferences as soon as you start making changes. You should end up with a customized version of Movie Mode in Preferences when you're through, which is what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks