Toshiba? or what?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffPh, Mar 22, 2003.

1. JeffPh

JeffPh Agent

My recent trip to the "bigbox" electronics store made me realize how bad I need a new tv.

I pretty much narrowed it down to the Toshiba 36hfx72 36" or the Sony equivilant (XVR?,XRP?). Anyway, the sales schmo was really pushing me to the Toshiba (set up in different aisles so I can't compare side to side). Both are 36"HDTV flat screen, both "top of the line" for the brand in that category.

My problem is, schmo knows more than me about TVs (the horror!), but I feel like he's pushing me one way because they may have larger mark-up on the Toshiba (common practice of these thugs). He says he has the Toshiba (never heard that one before).

So what's the opinion on Toshiba? specifically flat screen HDTV. Or what would be a better brand? Also, do I need the Cinema Series if I have 5.1?...are there other advantages besides improved speakers?

Last of all, I've found this TV at online sites for much cheaper...throw in free shipping and no sales tax and the savings are big. Any opinions on buying TVs online?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The salesperson may very well have been encouraged by his superiors to push the Toshiba over the Sony. Either way, the Tosh is a fine set—but so too is the Sony KV-36XBR800. The Tosh might have slightly more accurate color out of the box (Sonys often run about 2,000 degrees higher than the D6,500 standard at all brightness levels). But, after a complete grayscale calibration, the two should look nearly identical.

Go with the one that best suits your needs.

3. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

Now THERE's a reply from someone who knows exactly what they are talking about!!! Jack Briggs, you da bomb!!!---[​IMG]

4. Jim Doolittle

I have been faced with this same decision for a replacement bedroom set. I have calibrated countless Sony's and a few Toshibas. I'm going with the Toshiba because the primary color of red is much closer to the SMPTE C spec than the Sony red. Either set is good, I prefer the accuracy of the Toshiba.

5. JeffPh

JeffPh Agent

Jack and Jim, Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know that the salesman wasn't steering me wrong, they are hard to trust these days.

Any comments on the issue of buying online? Does anyone have experience with purchasing TV sets over the internet?

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I've bought a lot of equipment online—but not TVs. It's a matter of practicality. Most likely, you will do just fine. But if the set malfunctions during the product-return window, it's much easier to deal with an area B&M retailer. Then there's the issue of shipping costs: Both of those TVs are heavy.

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I would not buy online for the reasons Jack mentioned.

As well I am a proud owner of a toshiba 36HFX71 and it is a great set, considering i got the toshiba for a full 1000 less than i could ahve gotten the 36 inch sony XBR I could not justify getting the sony, and plus ther toshiba does ahve a better grey scale out of the box, if you arent going to get an ISF calibration its definitely the better tv

8. TimHON

TimHON Agent

I purchased the Toshiba 36HF72 from Best Buy about 2 months ago. This is the same as the HFX72 except for some minor differences mostly related to built in sound which doesn't seem like it should be a factor for you. BB matched price for $1500 delivered for me and I couldn't really find it too much cheaper online than that(maybe prices have come down in the last 2 months). If there is a Tweeter in your area, they were willing to sell the HFX72 for $1500 also. I have been very happy with the set- great picture and some really nice features that my old Mitsubishi set didn't have.

9. Frank Da Fin

Frank Da Fin Extra

TimHON.....just curious, what store was giving a price of $1500 for the 36HF72 that you got BB to price match? I'm about to buy this set myself, and would LOVE to have the price match ace in my hole. I was told that BB doesn't price match internet stores. I also have a Tweeters in the area if needed. If I can get it for $1500 delivered from BB, I'm going tonight!!! Thanks.

Frank

10. BrianDB

BrianDB Agent

Got a Costco around? They have the 36HF12 ( the warehouse version of the 72 ) for $1499. Unfortunatly, Delivery is on your end, however you just can't beat their return policy. I have the 12 and am an extremely satisfied customer.

11. TimHON

TimHON Agent

The price match of $1500 was from ABT here in the Chicago area. I would actually rather have bought from them but unfortunately they were back ordered at the time and I wanted the TV for the bowl games. I was actually at Tweeter the day before the set got delivered buying a DVD player and the sales guy tried to get me to cancel my order with Best Buy and said he would deliver the 36HFX72 for $1500. I didn't cancel because BB was running the no finance charge for 12 months deal at the time. Try Tweeter though and see if they will give you a price quote.