What's new

Toshiba or Hitachi RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Kevin-M

Agent
I'm finally ready to get my RPTV, and have decide among Hitachi or Toshiba as the brand I want to purchase.

When I first posed this question about a year ago, the choices were between the Hitachi 51F500 or the Toshiba 51HX83. Most said to go with the Hitachi, but the Toshiba was so new that not many people hadn't used it very thoroughly. So now that they've both been out for a while, would the choice be to still go with the Hitachi, or has the Toshiba proven itself better?

If the choice was Hitachi, I would possibly upgrade to the 51S500 if I can find a deal. Whereas if it was Toshiba, I may upgrade to the 51HX93. I already know the Hitachi earns a lot of praise, but again, I'm hoping someone my have an opinion on the brand new Toshiba(maybe JohnnyG, I first saw the model on your website). Do the new lenses on the 51HX93 warrant an upgrade over the earlier Tosh model or even the Hit 51S500? I wouldn't get much use out of the integrated tuner, so picture quality would be the deciding factor.

MarkMaximus

Stunt Coordinator
I just toured the stores today and was browsing RPTVs. I have researched many and have come to the conclusion that my decision lies between Hitachi and Mitsubishi. I will probably end up going with Hitachi. Reasons for this is features, picture quality, and tweakability. I have heard that the Hitachi S500 series is very very tweakable. I personally will go with the 700 series because I am in need of a integrated tuner, and mine as well get a TV that has it built in. Just my 2 cents. (by the by, the S series does have a better picture than the F series in my opinion)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Mark

It seems that the S700 series has a fan built in and a number of owners are not too happy because they can hear the fan during quiet scenes, to the point that it makes the dialogue hard to hear.

Artie

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I wouldn't worry about the fan in the S700. I just had a 51S700 delivered today and I was concerned about the fan. I can't hear anything even with no sound. If I get on my knees and put my head behind the TV near the floor I think I hear something that may be a fan. It's almost silent in mine though. A few people may have a bad fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks