What's new

Toshiba offering $100 instant rebates on HD DVD players (1 Viewer)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Come on Chris - you know you wanna...

Seriously - I don't know your situation. But my wife and I have had a Pioneer Elite Plasma for 3 and a half years now and we were in dire need of an upconverting DVD player. The HDMI slot was crying out to us. And we'd been going back and forth about waiting out the format war or maybe just waiting until the Holiday season this year. Finally when the Toshibas came down to this magical $300 number we decided to pull the trigger. The way we look at is the worst case scenario is HD-DVD dies within a year (which I hardly think will be the case) and with that we'd still have an amazing upconverting DVD player with a slew of HD-DVDs to play on top of that. And that's the worst case! Not too shabby. The best case scenario is HD-DVD wins the war (which if so, will probably not be for at least a year or two) and then we have a HD player that will last us for some time.

This way we get the main need we had filled plus we get our feet wet with HD as well. So it worked out perfectly for us. Anyway just wanted to pass on my reasons, and feel free to use them yourself - I never copyright my reasons and/or rationalizations - they are in public domain.

Just got back from Value Electronics and met Robert. A very nice guy and he went out of his way to help me. Nice little train ride up from the city too. The car's in the shop and I'm glad. I love trains. Anyway, I'll be setting up the player after dinner tonight and will be sure to let everyone know how it looks. Getting very excited!

Good luck Chris in making your decision. Hope I was helpful. Your wallet may come after me though.

Cheers,

Jason

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I see that Costco is now selling the HD-D2 (virtually identical to the HD-A2) for $249 and Sam's Club has the A2 for $243.

Doug

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Could you at least let us know if the additional offerings from VE (bonus discs & cable, etc.. offered by you) will still be available / comparable for the A20 this weekend?

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom

Dude, I think you're WAY TOO excited about this.

Maybe you should just whip it out... and use that credit card.

:D

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
I did whip it out. I used that credit card. And then I wiped the display clean after watching the first HD movie!

Cheers,

Jason

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey Guys.

I just stumbled across this deal and had to find out some details about it so I can hopefully take the plunge! I was not even THINKING about going to HD yet, but being out of date as I am, I thought players were still around $1000. Ha!

So I went to Amazon and this player, through Tiger Direct is $250. But I see on some of your posts here, there is a way to get it $100 cheap, but I can't figure out how? And the offer for 5 movies is already in affect right? That would be a great way to start a collection. Me and my Fiancee are trying to save for a wedding + honeymoon, but I know I can talk her into this.

Just need to know what I need to do to get that additional $100 off, to make it even cheaper. Unless of course the $250 is already cheap as it's gonna get.

Also, as for equipment, I have a 1080i HD TV, so I know no problem there, and a fairly new Onkyo Reciever with HDMI. Is the 5.1 audio on HD DVDs a bit different that SD DVDs or does it still come through the Optical/Coax? But does it sound like I have thw equipment I need to use this player fully?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The new offer seems to get into effect on June 9th, if I'm not mistaken (not for me .... only inside the US, AFAIK), and it is believed NOT to apply in full below the $299 price point.

But we still need to hear the details. :frowning:

Cees

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
So right now that $250 at Amazon is NOT with an offer of $100 off? Sounds like I should wait till at least the 9th and see what happens huh? Even $250 with 5 movies is a good deal though.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Note on the Costco HD-D2...sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

The HD-D2 at Costco includes an HDMI cable.

The HD-A2 everywhere else does not.

- Steve

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
My Fiancee wanted me to ask something else regarding this deal. We are still unclear on what happens on the 10th, and how it would affect the HD-A2 model. Is there a chance the deal could get WORSE than the current $250 on Amazon deal after the 10th?

Thank you.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

My local Costco tells me that they are not getting any of the D2 units. :thumbsdown: The electronics supervisor/manager said he has specifically asked about these to his home office but was told his store was not getting allocated any because they didn't have enough supply to meet the demand. He was obviously not happy about this.

This is really surprising to me as my local store has great sales overall and I see people buying TVs there all the time.

For someone like me who has been waiting on the sidelines, the Costco deal (less than $250 for a player, HDMI cable, and 3 movies) was quite enticing.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's an extremely good price. I think that Amazon will increase the price if the offer gets nearer. Of course we (who are not being informed about specifics) cannot predict what's going to happen.

So in principle, yes, it is possible (?) that the offer isn't as good.
It's also possible (?) that it is. Sorry but who can say anything better for sure?

Cees

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

Here's how I understand it. The sale started a couple weeks ago on the HD-A2 (and HD-D2 at CostCo). That brought the price down to about $299 at most places and about $250 at CostCo. If you're finding it for around $250-$300, that is already taking the $100 off into account. So you won't be getting it for $150-$200. ;)

The final phase of the deal begins on the 10th I believe. That is $100 off the HD-A2 & HD-D2 still, but they're also adding the HD-A20 and HD-XA2 for that final week.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn

Honestly I still have not decided on what to do about the 6/10 sale. Most customers tell me they just want the lowest price, some say the 10 free movies, free premium HDMI cable and double boxing is a more compelling offer.

So I may do a "Buyer's Choice" sale. Buy just the player... say the A2 for $249, A20 for $349 or the XA2 for $499 and the second choice would be for a little more you get the bundle deal.

I hope to start the sale this Friday evening.

-Robert

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I've seen the same thing happening at the Costco near my house. A flat of players lasts a week maybe two. Which is actually really good news as I see it. It means that demand is outracing supply and people are becoming more interesting in HD media. That's not a bad thing. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I think the lowest price deal might move the most units Robert. And it would get other vendors lowering theirs too thus opening the door for greater HD DVD ownership. :)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Ah, the woes of early adopters. Less than a year ago I spent 999.00 on a XA1, just to replace it for a 999.99 XA2 in January (actually, Robert rebated me a 100.00 after I purchased it because he lowed his sale price to 899.99 a few weeks after I bought my player. He made a loyal customer out of me).

And now, the price is dropping to '499.99' for the XA2. Seems these new prices are no brainers to any enthusiast who has been sitting by the side lines. No more excuse not to get in the mix.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It is funny. Bought my A1 last summer. Sold it, bought a new XA-1 for way less and with selling my laserdisc player and discs, then my A1, I was virtually only throwing pennies at the XA-1. Got lucky I guess. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks