What's new

Toshiba new 50H81 vs 50HX81 (1 Viewer)

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I'm now debating wether I should splurge and go for the HX Toshiba model. I read over the specs for both sets at John's site, but I don't understand what some of the features are, and if they are worth the extra cash.
I would like to know if anyone knows that the difference between these 2 sets are. John's website has pictures and specs up (thanx John :) ).
Here's a link to the 2 sets:
http://www.accountwizard.com/clients/shop.asp?Web=nbtelectronics&AW_SessionID=AWEngine2001000012355905144441444e44k144kId4d44S144kSite7E77E577M&page=item&itemid=1652 The remote and sound I could do without (I already use the RS 1994 and planning on a Pronto, Sound ... that's what my HT is for). The Anti-Reflective Screen and Nicer cabinit is a plus but not worth the price difference alone (at least here in Canada).
Can anyone shed any light???? John maybe your Toshiba rep explained these features to you
biggrin.gif

Thanx
Mass
------------------

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
I would really like to know too. I want to improve on my TW40X81's focus, ability to hold black, and halo effect.
Also does anyone know if the rear inputs are inset so it can go very close to the rear wall? I'm hoping I can have it stick out about the same amount as my TW40X81.
Ryan
------------------

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The new CRTs actually incorporate a couple of 'major' advancements in technology. The first is spherical phosphors which can be packed more tightly, resulting in a thinner phosphor coating. The end result is a finer beam spot size with less 'scatter'. The second feature is an 'impregnated cathode' design (wan't me!). I don't completely understand the difference between this and a regular CRT design, but the benefit is the ability to drive a smaller beam spot size at higher voltage without affecting the longevity of the tube.
The differences in the lenses remains to be seen.
The 'BlackStripe' lenticular applies a black coating to the backside of the lenticular screen. This improves the black level, giving the image extra 'depth'.
When Toshiba quotes resolution figures, they are really just counting the 'slots' in the lenticular screen. That's why both sets have the same horizontal resolution figure. I believe the HX will have a more detailed picture (especially with HD material), but you'd probably have to see the 2 models side-by-side to see the difference.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Harold A

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Two questions: Is there going to be a 42HX81 you only have the H81 listed and Does the lens technology carry over into the 4:3 models ie the 43HX71?
I hear the 4:3 will now do vertical squeeze.
Also, what is the expected release date here in the US for the 43HX71?
OK more then 2 questions but I am wavering between one of these or the Panasonic which I am now not so excited about.

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
THANX JOHN!!! I knew you'd come through
biggrin.gif

When you put all the extra features together, they seem more than worth the extra $500. Why did they have to make the new cabinit look so cool and distinctly different. Knowing me, I'd be kicking myself in Sept/Oct when the "HX" series comes out ... it's only an extra $500 ...
I re-read Toshiba's press release and found out that the "HX" is actually the cinima series, and the "H" is their regular line. One worthy note I could interpret from the new lencs are in addition to the points you mentioned John, it has a "special Spherical Phosphor layer which creates better image uniformity and resists burn-in" It didn't appear that this feature was available on the "H" series. Please correct me if I'm wrong. In the press release, they refer to the Cinima line features quite a bit ... which I presume is only the "HX" line.
I guess I'm waiting a PAINFULL 3 months
frown.gif
At least this gives me a bit of time to come up with the extra cash. It's quite a difference from where I started.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks