Toshiba Natural Picture Mode.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Turner, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Brian Turner

Brian Turner Extra

Apr 8, 2000
    I have recently purchased a Toshiba 65HDX82.On page 35 of the manual, it says use Natural picture size for 16:9 “recommended for wide-screen 16.9 format pictures” and it will display the full width, but when I select the Natural picture size it shows me the picture in 4:3 size with gray bars.

Any of the other modes show me the full screen width, with black bars on the top & bottom on 2.35 movies, but that is to be expected unless I use Full Mode.

I am using a Panny RP91, component video, aspect ration set on 16:9
    Any ideas why.

Thanks BrianT. Ottawa.
  2. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

Jun 1, 2002
    The Natural picture size displays a conventional picture signal in the conventional 4:3 aspect ratio, with bars at the left and right.
    The Full picture size displays the picture signal in the wide-screen 16:9 aspect ratio. Note: If you select Full picture size for a conventional 4:3 pcture, the picture will be stretched horizontally to fill the screen.

according to that, you should use the full mode for 16:9 images for use on a 16:9 tv.
    now keep in mind that is all for a 480i or 480p image input, which is what your dvd player does.

now for 1080i (HDTV) it says:
    Select Natural size to view a conventional 1080i source in wide-screen format (16:9 aspect ratio).

that should fix your problem.