Toshiba HX series or H series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean_B, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

What is the difference between these two HD-Ready rear projection televisions? Is the price difference worth it?

2. DanKasun

DanKasun Auditioning

HX is the "Cinema Series" version, supposedly has better lenses and other components. The big thing that I'm waiting for is the HX comes with an anti-reflective screen that is supposed to reduce glare by up to 50%. From what I've heard about the H series, the glare can be an issue if you have a lot of reflective light sources in the room.
    Let me know if you find the HX series anywhere - it is "supposedly" only being carried by high-end stores.
    I've been waiting and looking - no luck yet... hopefully in the next few weeks.
    -Dan

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Dan,
    I'm still 3+ months away from my audio purchase so won't be doing video until next year, but the HX series intrigues me (esp the 65HX81). If you find a store in the area selling them, post it on the forum; I'm in your county.
    Thanks
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

4. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

If you do a search you will find a number of posts on this. But anyway...
    First, to my knowledge, the HXs are not yet being sold anywhere yet. I've checked dealers in both southern CA and MO and both have given me etas of sometime in September, maybe. There have been a few posts over the last few days of the sort: I saw an HX at someplace in Canada or Crazy Eddie reports that they have HXs in stock. But these reports are so terse, and there is so much confusion on this issue, that it is possible that Hs are being confused for HXs. But I hope they're right.
    Second, there are a number of differences, beside the anti-glare screen, between the HXs and the Hs; in particular, different CRTs and lenses. This could be a very big deal or nothing at all; no one knows. And no one knows whether the anti-glare screen will turn out to be a good thing or a bad thing; it depends how it is implemented.
    A comparison can be found on the following info sheet.(The sheet is from Canada; don't infer that just because Canada is not getting some model that we aren't.)
    http://www.toshiba.ca/ceg/html/Flip%20Chart%202001.pdf
    Owners manuals can be found at
    http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...V/2001tvct.htm
    ------------------

5. DanKasun

DanKasun Auditioning

Crazy Eddie has the H and the HX both listed on their site, the HX is abotu $300 more.
    It looks they are taking "pre-orders" for the HX - who knows what that means (probably means they'll sit on your cash and earn interest themselves until Toshiba ships).
    Personally, I'm not sure how confortable I am doing business with Crazy Eddie given the history of the outfit... I understand it's really a new business now, but still hesitant. Anyone care to share any experiences?
    One thing that particularly irks me is that it looks like they're charging sales tax even though I'd be ordering out of state. This may just be a "bug" in their site... but again, doesn't instill confidence.
    -Dan