Toshiba HTPC vs DVD pictures.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Juan_R, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I have taken pictures of the same scenses from LOTR and The Fifth Element (superbit) from a RP-82 and an HTPC which bypasses the upconversion process on my Toshiba 65HX81. My TV has been profesionaly calibrated by Gregg Loewen, both scan rates have been calibrated. I don't know how to post the pictures in here so if anybody wants to see them I can e-mail it to them. If somebody wants to show me how to post the pics then I rather do that. Well, let the comparison begin.

2. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

Both seem to give a very good picture. Did you upconvert the signal from the HTPC to match the Toshiba's native resolution? What software are you using? TheaterTek?

I would give the HTPC the edge in terms of detail and color richness. It's kind of hard to tell which has a more accurate color though, since directors very often change the hue of a scene to give it a certain mood.

3. Brent_N

Brent_N Stunt Coordinator

Where are you seeing these pictures?

4. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

5. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

I thought that the RP-82 pictures looked much closer to reality, but I didn't know if any hue manipulation had been done to the film.

Now that you cleared that up, I would say the RP-82's picture looks much better. The HTPC pictures seem to have a severe blue tint to them, which I mistook for richness in the sky in LOTR.

Edit: I took something out of my original post.

I just took a screen capture of LOTR at the same part you did from my monitor and it looks so much better than either of those pics. I mean WAY better. So I know that the HTPC isn't at fault. It is capable of extremely high quality video.

6. daneli

daneli Extra

Good comparison... How did the two compare on the Avia resolution test?

Eli

7. Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

Many HTPCs suffer from colorimetry problems due to the video cards having improper impedance matching at the video output stage. The employment of resistors to match impedance manipulates the rise time and slew rates of random frequencies, causing gamma problems and contributing to the anomaly called "banding" by many.

Now before you all start crucifying me: I am not condemning HTPCs...I think that they are very neat devices, and I am not commenting on ALL video cards or those that are appropriately modified. This is pertinent to the folks that go to Fry's, put a recipe of 'parts' into their cart, and proceed to create a HTPC. Without the benefit of a waveform monitor that accepts HD scan rates, and careful (re)-engineering, though pleasing results may be obtained, it is not likely to be of reference quality.

8. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

David,

Any chance we could see that picture? And when you say monitor, is that your PC monitor?

9. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Mike,

I am not going to crucify you because I know what you are talking about. I think if the set would have been calibrated with the HTPC the color would look better. I did not opt to pay for 3 grayscales, it was expensive enough for two.