Toshiba ??HDX82 Speaker hiss

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by aruso, Sep 27, 2002.

1. aruso

aruso Auditioning

Hi ALL,

I recently got my 57HDX82 and yes it arrived preinstalled with the wonderful speaker HISS. I checked out the forums and people mentioned it's normal. We'll turns out it's not normal and Good news !!!! Mine is fixed. My buddy owns a Toshiba Service center and yes there is a fix. A call to toshie and a simple CAP and I am hiss free.

Later

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Good to know, mine comes on Monday.

3. rougehiller

rougehiller Extra

Good to know and thanks very much. I'm going to get this set soon. Did you call Toshiba Customer Support direct or thru your dealer?

4. aruso

aruso Auditioning

My Dealer/Buddy did for me!

5. Jeff Richardson

Jeff Richardson Auditioning

Do you have any idea what your buddy did to fix it, so I know what to ask for? Thanks.

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I got my 50HDX82 two days ago and noticed last night I have "the hiss". It's quite irritating actually.
    I just spoke to Toshi tech support (1-800-631-3811) and explained the problem. The rep was aware of it, however, he was not aware of the fix. He took my name/address/serial number and forwarded it to their home office. Apparently they are compiling a list of customers with this problem while they investigate what it is and then they will call customers back (yeah, sure!).
    Aruso, it looks like your techie friend is privvy to some solution that Toshiba (or, at least their support reps) are not aware of. Does he have a contact at Toshi that can help us out? The hiss is driving me nuts!
    UPDATE - 10/02/02 I just called the place I bought the TV from and they will be sending a tech out to look at it tomorrow. Hopefully, he/she will be aware of a solution. If not, perhaps if I can get enough people to jump through hoops for me.. someone will come up with something. The ol' "squeaky wheel" theory. Will post results of tech visit.

7. SteveDev

SteveDev Agent

What do you mean by a "simple CAP"? I've got this problem as well and Toshiba of course said this is the first they heard of it and a speaker hiss is normal!

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Here's my theory: these sets went out with either a poorly constructed crossover or none at all (the speakers appear to be coaxial 2-ways).

I would say the hiss is not normal and I would make another call to Toshiba, Steve.

BTW: I had to postpone my tech visit.

9. Scott Foster

Scott Foster Auditioning

[​IMG] I have a new tosh 57HDX82 with the hiss. The guy from Tosh (1-800-631-3811) told me to reset the unit by unpluging it for 30 minutes. I tried that, no better.
    ARUSO, WHAT CAP?
    If you are going to just ignore us now because yours is fixed, your a jerk!

10. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Hahah Scott, at lesat put a smiley face after that....why so mean? =D[​IMG]

11. John_Lynt

John_Lynt Auditioning

I found this a problem too. It's not a BIG deal, but I would like to know the fix.

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

OKay... last night I finally wired my Toshi to my meager Pioneer pro-logic system (I know, I know, but hey, I just sunk $2k in this TV.. I'm working on the funds for a new DD/DTS system). I connected the audio out to the Pioneer and I still seem to have the hiss.

So, apparently this problem lies much deeper than just the on-board speakers. I guess I'll just have to wire each component's (cable, dvd, vcr) audio thru my receiver.. not a big deal... just a pain in the ass.

13. Scott Foster

Scott Foster Auditioning

Well it is a big deal to me!
    And the jerk that started the thread says he knows a fix and even a nice e-mail to him gets no response!

14. GregZ

GregZ Agent

Guys, on the brand new 50hdx, when I watch through my DD system and turn the speakers to 0, the hiss dissapears. So make sure you mute the TV when listening through other speakers.
    I really wish we knew the fix though, we paid enough for our TVs not to have hiss, my $300 27" Sony was better[​IMG]
    Greg

15. Scott Foster

Scott Foster Auditioning

OK,
    I just called Toshiba back, They know about a problem and are working on a fix. They said they would call back when they have a solution. I suggest everyone that has this problem call and give them your contact information.
    800-631-3811
    I'd call them every couple weeks to check in.

16. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Yep, just turn the volume down to 0 and the hiss dissappears completely. I don't use my TV speakers while I'm watching movies anyways and although this is slightly annoying, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

17. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, I had connected the audio outs to my receiver and set the speakers to "off" on the set. I was then getting the hiss out of my stereo speakers. So, to avoid the hiss altogether, I need to connect my cable box's, vcr's, and dvd player's audio out to the receiver rather than to the TV then receiver which is how I prefer to do it to minimize button pushing. I planned on using the TV speakers as a center channel until I can get a real one (see above statement about a DD/DTS receiver) but the hiss may force me to misappropriate some of my son's college fund to speed up that purchase.

18. SteveDev

SteveDev Agent

Got mine fixed today as well. The Tech pulled what I would guess would be the sound board out (since it reminded me of the Soundblaster cards in a PC!), soldered something on to it (a "Capacitator" as he called it), then put the board back into the back of the TV. Voila! No hiss. Well, okay, 99% gone, I can only hear it if I press my ear to the speakers which I don't see myself doing too often!

Said the fix just came out around a week ago from Japan and he's fixed a few sets the same way.

Thanks for the info ARUSO!! I have to admit the hiss really bothered me even though I have a AV receiver for sound since I don't use it for basic TV watching, okay, I do but not all the time!

19. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

CAP = capacitor.

Jan

20. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I find it extremely interesting to learn that so many HTF'ers actually USE the TV speakers in the first place. I would have thought nearly everyone here would reply, "No big deal, I turn those awful TV speakers down to Zero anyway".

The new Toshibas have a surround stereo system, is this correct? And some kind of a "phantom" center channel?

Are the TV speakers actually producing a good, true, robust sound (on the Toshiba models)?