Toshiba HD set and Progressive scan DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James FT, Nov 17, 2001.

1. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased a superbits dvd Airforce one and I could see no visual differeance compared to the Phnatom Menance. The only benefit was DTS sound. This brings me to the question. I have a 56 H 80 Toshiba HD TV with a 2-3 pulldown. If I change by Toshiba DvD player to a progressive scan will I see a visual differance. I am very impressed with the current DVD quality. Would it significantly change if I used a progressive scan dvd player. Has anyone had personal experience by upgrading to the progressive scan dvd and did it significantly change the picture quality that they eye could see?
    ------------------

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

3. James FT

Thanks for the resposnse Paul I have a Toshiba carousel tray 6 disc player it was top of the line two years ago but it only plays dvd and cds no R RW or MP3.It produces a very good picture and in fact when Toshiba did the 2-3 pull update to the tv 5 months ago I noticed very little differance. I never did play the Star Trek movie that was suppose to show all the artifacts.
    It is interesting to note it was the Pannasonic that I was looking at in Future Shop priced at $400.00 Canadian.By the tone of your message it appears that the pannasonic is not the best progressive scan player available and of course I would review the Toshiba having been a loyal customers for many years I find their products resonable quality for the price point.
    On an other subject I have not posted for some time but I do notice that spell check is now removed,hoepfully it will return after the modifications this weekend to the site.

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

James,

While I cannot comment on the Panasonic RP-56, I can say from direct experience that the Panasonic RP-91 provides a better video image that a Toshiba SD-6200 progressive scan DVD player (I own both). For anamorphic discs, the RP-91's improvement is minor, but for non-anamorphic widescreen discs the RP-91's scaling feature offers a huge improvement over the zoom-only function of a Toshiba 16x9 HD-ready television (I have a 56H80). Also, I have found the RP-91 to be glitch-free, while the Toshiba had problems playing a few of my discs.

6. James FT

Thanks to all of you for answers to my questions. It appears that if I am going to go to a progressive scan dvd that I should purchaase a good one. I will certainly research the panasonic RP 91

7. Al H

Al H Auditioning

8. Bob Sison

Bob Sison Extra

I have a Toshiba 50HX81 and I paired it with a Pioneer DV737, which is Progressive Scan and Pure Cinema. At the stores I watched the Toshiba with a good DVD player NON- progressive scan. The very obvious advantage of the progressive scan Pioneer DV737 is that the images have absolutely no flicker! The technician pointed out the flickers when using non progressive scan, and in my set, they are toally non existent, only smooth edges throughout. I would like to believe that the image I see in my setup are tops, but only until I see a better set. Does anybody have any related experience?