What's new

Toshiba HD-DVD and Video Essential Question (1 Viewer)

I just received my Toshiba HD-DVD player the other day and I came across a problem when running my Video Essentials calibration disc on it. While using the test pattern to set the black level I discovered that my player fails to produce a blacker than black stripe, which makes it difficult to be precise. Does anyone know if there is an option in the Setup menu that will enable one? Also, is there a way to find out which firmware version my player is currently running?
Not to change the subject, but I have to say that the picture quality with the discs that I have is nothing short of amazing. I've been to the mountain top and now everything that isn't in HD fails to measure up. This was well worth the $500 investment.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

I can't answer the calibration disc question but to see what version your player is go to the player setup then maintenance then update and there it will show the version. Yes I agree about the PQ and the picture on my 56 inch 1080p dlp is over the top and I'm having a hard time watching any standard DVD's now. :)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Have you checked the black level enhancement setting in your HD-A1 yet? When it is on, it is effectively IRE 7.5. When off, it is IRE 0. I think it needs to be set to On, but I actually found this thread looking for information about whether the black level enhancement should be turned on or off before calibration. :)

Anyway, I just got my player setup last night, and it does look great, but I noticed that my inputs really need to be re-calibrated to get the best out of the new sources connected. My wife thought it looked amazing, which is always a plus because that makes future purchases all the more easy. :laugh:

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Actually, James, I had that backwards. When Enhanced Black Level is turned on, it is IRE 0. If it is off, it is IRE 7.5.

Please let me know if you have turned Enhanced Black Level on and are still having difficulty producing a blacker than black stripe. I wouldn't be surprised if you are. So far the black level on this player is my only real disappointment. Everything else, poor remote, slow boot-up time, etc. I was prepared for thanks to this board.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
There were also issues with the blacker than black through HDMI, as I recall, but it should work OK through component. I don't know if that has since been fixed by a firmware update since I use component.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

Yes, I started noticing today that most of the people reporting BTB issues were using HDMI. I too am using component, and upon further review I should probably hold off criticizing it until I figure out if it is truely the player or the fact that my input was previously ISF calibrated to another source, my Zenith HD-SAT520 OTA/satellite receiver, and perhaps something about it necessitated going brighter.

I'm definitely stuck between a rock and a hard place though, as I have gotten used to watching professionally ISF calibrated inputs, and I would like to have my set recalibrated, but it is almost six years old, and I would really like to put that money toward upgrading my set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks