What's new

Toshiba HD-D A1 player advise (1 Viewer)

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi gang;

Any input on this HD-D player before I take the plunge??

Thanks,

Ian B

willyTass

Supporting Actor
From what I've heard about probs with loading times & freezing on the BETA units I wouldn't be the first to rush in.

If the brave who take the plunge come 18th April can confirm TOSH has ironed out these probs you're in for a treat

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I am going to wait. I think the first players will be a big test. Better to read online in forums and reviews to make sure the problems are weeded out. I have read some of the test units had many problems.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My advice is don't jump in yet. Too expensive, (though the cheapest one to be released). It just seems too early, not a lot of products that support 1080p via video and audio.

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone. I think I will wait and see what happens. Perhaps by Christmass, the smoke will have cleared.

Ian B

Hello,

I have tried this player for a week, and I am done dealing with all of the issues. I returned it last night.

Issues: When I 1st hooked it up, Great picture but no digital sound via Optical through my Denon receiver(2 yrs old). The only sound I could get to work was 2-channel PCM sound(Yeck and not what I paid for). After talking to Toshiba tech support for many hrs, they determined that it was too old(2yrs?), I had to buy a new receiver. I spent another $400 and hooked up new receiver. It worked and fantastic sound, but..........

Once I started to play movies, I started to have multiple hard locks. Sometimes the movie would play fine for a while, then stutter a little, then bang, hard lock. A full system reboot, which takes well over a minute.

Big problem - When watching a dvd, we like to pause and quickly switch to news, basketball game - OH NO, not with this system, the moment you switch your TV from HDMI, huge HDMI error on HD DVD player and hard lock, must fully reboot system.

No on-screen changing of audio, must go up to player and see between audio 1, audio 2, etc....No way to know what it is?????

That was it. I will wait until 2nd or 3rd generation comes out. I have searched many forums, and LOTS of people are having these problems.

I wish I could recommend now, but I can't.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've had my A1 for 2 weeks now, not a single problem with it. I've watched Phantom, Apollo 13, Doom, Serenity (twice), The Last Samurai, all HD-DVD titles and several SD-DVDs, everyone played without incident. I've got it wired up via a 35' HDMI cable to a Z3.

The up scaling of SD-DVDs is outstanding as well.

The Audio is run via the 5.1 Analog connections to take advantage of DD+. I did run it also via Coax and Toslink, both work fine but the Analog connection is the best until HDMI 1.3 hits.

This, I am sure is a set-up issue in the audio section of the A1's menu, there are many others with older receivers doing just fine. My Outlaw 950 is older then 2 years and it works perfectly no matter which audio option I use.

It is slow loading, takes about 45 seconds once turned on before you can open the tray and then another 30 seconds to boot up once a movie is in. Other then that, she runs perfectly.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
yes...beyond the gliktches; the fact remains, unarguably, that this first generation unit does not take full advantage of HD video and audio capabilities and specs. I'll pass thanks

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
ron-p, is it because you're not pausing/fast-forwarding, etc.? please let us know your viewing habits cause that might be why you're not having issues. try pausing/resuming/etc. functions during playback.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've paused, resumed, FF, RW, done it all with every movie I've watched, just to see what happens, nothing happens everything plays fine.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
It seems that some people have just gotten unlucky and recieved a faulty player. Either that or they are using different connections/set-ups.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Ditto ie Ron's experience. No problems with my player at all, hooked up via HDMI to DVI on a Panny 47" CRT, with optical out to Denon AVR-3805 receiver. Looks and sounds great. The slow load time is the only "issue", and that's barely an issue at all to me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's an OK player. If you can be patient, MUCH better ones are coming down the pike. I dont have buyers remorse but I intend to upgrade as soon as there is a player that has:

SACD
DVD-A
Faster start up
A better remote is gravy

It is DEFINITELY a first gen product and it shows.

Sam

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've had NO issues with it, either.

I highly recommend the player. Great HD and SD upscaling performance!

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
Well guys, I took the plunge about a week ago from valueelectronics.com for $499.00 with free shipping and 2 movies. So far, I have played several sd dvds and 3 hdd movies with no problems. The picture quality is astounding and rehooked the audio from coaxial to 5.1 analog for true dd+. Hope everyone enjoys theirs as much as I do. IMHO, it was money well spent.

Ian B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks