What's new

Toshiba HD-A3 upconvert SDDVDs over component? (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
sorry if the answer to this question is burried somewhere in here, but i want to buy one of these later this afternoon.
since the A3 is so damn cheap now, and my dvd player is starting to skip discs, I'm going to go for. I just want to know if it will upconvert over component or if I have to use HDMI. I would just prefer to use component, my tv is DVI anyways so i'd have to go to all the hassle of ordering a HDMI to DVI cable from bluejeans just to display a picture that won't be any better than component anyways.
I might even pick up cheap HD-DVDs as the firesale on them begins...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
You have to use HDMI, as all HD players (and this includes BD) will only upconvert over component if the disc is not copy-protected. That selection is limited, and includes Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone and some early Paramount titles, though I couldn't tell you which ones. The HDMI-to-DVI cable will only work if your DVI connection is HDCP compliant (check your owner's manual). HDMI-to-DVI cables are cheap anyways, and can be had at your local Wal*Mart.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
There is a very clear increase in quality from component to HDMI/DVI as well. You'll see the difference.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
ah, so assuming none of those are true (can't remember if my tv is HDCP, it's one of those toshiba 720p 50" CRT RPTVs...can't even remember the model number off top) will this player still output a 480p signal over component or unprotected DVI? will is just downconvert HD DVDs or will those not even play?

Dave>h

Second Unit
It'll play hd dvd at full resolution over component, just won't upconvert.
I understand there are ways around it but discussing them is forbidden on the boards.

DAve

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Dave is correct. HD DVD will play at 1080i over component, but upconversion will not occur over component. Thankfully, none of the studios utilised the ICT token on HD DVD to restrict resolution through component to 480p.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Not necessarily. My HDMI/DVI connection isn't as good as my component. The color rendering is better, but the fine detail is less. Go figure. Over component I can literally count the pores in the actors' faces, but via the HDMI/DVI connection, their skin is smoother and less detailed. I was very disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks