Toshiba HD-A2 (1 Viewer)

8ohms

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hello everyone!:)

Toshiba has just announced their second generation HD-DVD
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
player and I plan on getting my hands on one as soon as they are available. Does anyone know if there are any reviews yet of this player?

I am more convince than ever that HD-DVD is the future of HD playback after all the great reviews I read so far and that all the studios will eventually jump on both bandwagons as long as they can make money until one medium die at the hands of consumers.:frowning:

RomanSohor

Second Unit
No analog out and the same resolution (1080i max) make me hope I can pick up an A1 cheaper when the A2 comes out. I can't afford to buy that and a new recceiver that HDMI can send good audio to. I don't care about the remote :) Thats what the Pronto is for!

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
Just remember that Toshiba and RCA shipped all of their A1s and they won't be making any more so whatever the stores have, that's it. Hopefully you'll still be able to find one when the A2 comes out.

8ohms

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Not quite sure what you mean no analog out. But from the spec I read it has a full compliment of output connection including s-video, component and composite. As for the 1080i, that fine for me cause my HDTV does not have an HDMI 1.3 input so it cannot display 1080p content. Plus I really don't thinks there will be much of a difference between the i and the p anyway. I'll just happy to finally be able to watch movie in full HD without it being delivered by satellite or cable.:)

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
If 5.1 analog out is only available on the higher priced machine, Toshiba has really made a boo boo.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
The HD-A2 is expected the week of 10/30. I spent a lot of time with the player at CEDIA where is was first announced and previewed.

The remote response time we instant and the player load time was under 26 seconds from power off to playing a HD DVD.

I like the G2 HD DVD players, but if you need the 5.1 analog outputs go for the current A1 or the beautiful XA1 while you can still get one.

-Robert

8ohms

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Rob!

Many thanks for the inside scoop. I am very happy to hear that the load time has decrease from the HD-A1. I've already pre order the A2 and can't wait to start enjoying HDTV all over again.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
^^ As of today Toshiba has confirmed the first allocation of HD-XA2's to be 12/28/06. I would assume you will see them in stores by 1/15/07.

Several on-line authorized dealers will begin shipping a little sooner.

-Robert

8ohms

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Sometimes I wonder how stupid can some of these manufacturer be. How insane for them to release their XA2 after Christmas when everybody already maxed out their credit card on a bunch of other electronic crap they probable would not have purchase because they could not get an XA2 HD-DVD.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Steve, don't rush the cake till it's completely cooked and has risen to its maximum potential.

-Robert

8ohms

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Good advice. But you know how it is when you're cooking a real good mean in the kitchen??? It's like that. My 57" Toshiba begs for HD.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator

He is referring to the fact that the A2 does not have 5.1 Analog AUDIO Outputs, therefore to enjoy the new hi-res audio formats (DD+, DD TrueHD etc) you will need an audio receiver with HDMI Audio Inputs and DD+ (etc.) decoder built in, so far no manufacturers have announced such a processor.

Regarding your TV, HDMI 1.3 has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to display 1080p.

8ohms

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Correct Preston!

The 1.3 is to support future enhancements like Deep Color and multiple audio channels. I wonder what next on the horizon regarding connections? I thought DVI was the latest and greatest till HDMI. Oh well!

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
BTW, The HD-XA2 also features exclusive "Color Management Tools" so you can very accurately calibrate your display to the HD DVD player and its input.

He XA2 is a true high end HD device.

-Robert

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

Robert do you mean the XA1 or XA2 has color management tools or is it both do?

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

Good to know the XA2 has some features over the A2. I have been looking for reasonds to justify the XA2 over the A2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks