Toshiba H5081 or HX5081

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miguel Stanic, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Miguel Stanic

Miguel Stanic Stunt Coordinator

Which is the better deal and/or better set based on the $500 price difference. The HX model is suppose to be the better one but their both expensive. In Canadian dollars, the HX model is $4500 while the H model is $4000. Which one would you buy and why?

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I think the HX is worth the extra $500, but if you don't have $500, I guess the point is moot!

The HX has better CRTs (longer life expectancy), better lenses, better screen with improved contrast, anti-reflective screen protector, better audio system and better remote. The picture quality (to me at least) is obviously superior on the HX - especially with high-definition material.

Personally, having calibrated several of both, I'd pay an extra $500 just for the better lenses! It's amazing how different they are.

3. Miguel Stanic

Thanks for the response. What about as far as moving/shipping of the TV. My basement is in the process of being finished but probably has another month or two to go. Is it okay if I buy the set now and keep it upstairs until it's ready to go down. My concern, however, is moving it down to the basement. I've got two tight turns that need to be made almost instantly. More importantly, is it going to make it or is it too large. As well, I'm concerned with handling the TV myself. Am I better off waiting until the basement is done so that the movers can take it down. I doubt it it's going to go down with the packaging on so I'm not worried about taking that off. I'm more worried about damaging the TV myself if it's tight or I can't make it down.

The doorway to the basement is a conventional 3 foot wide door with about 7 foot clearance but not for much before the ceiling slopes down three more flights and slopes agin down the last turn. Standing on the steps, I do not hit the ceiling but I'm only 5'8" tall. Will I make it?

4. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Miguel,

I live in a condo (donwstairs) and it wasnt too tuff getting my TV in 50H81.

Plus i have two sharp turn once you get into the doorway in order to get to my living room.

My buddy and I got my TV downstairs and inside with a large dolly (sp?).

It was fairly easy and we just took our time and got it in place without a problem.

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Miguel, it's probably going to take a month or more to even get one of these sets anyway as Toshiba is badly backordered on just about everything.

Honestly, moving one of these down a flight of stairs on your own would be dangerous. Not only is it very heavy (about 200 pounds), but it's very awkward to handle. Other than that, having it upstairs first and then moving it downstairs would not cause any problems.

6. Miguel Stanic

What about the Sony's...the 51 and 57HW40 sets. Are these better/comparable to the Toshiba's. I noticed that the Sony sets don't do Progressive Scan. Does Sony incorporate it's own version of Progressive Scan or is Progressive Scan a format that's not exlcusive to Toshiba's and their DVD players. Which HDTV is the best between these?