What's new

Toshiba grey bars issue (1 Viewer)

DaveCaddell

Auditioning
I have the Toshiba HDTV 57" widescreen model. As many of you well know, when forced to watch a movie in 4:3 format, the bars on the side are grey and not black.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make those bars black? It sure kills the experience for them to be grey!

Thanks!
Dave

DaveCaddell

Auditioning
Weeeeeeeeeeeel,

I have tried to use the stretch format but I just can't stand the way it looks. I just can't fathom what Toshiba was thinking to have made the bars grey. :confused:

Believe me, if I can find 16:9 versions I do!

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it is possible, but very difficult. I think the tweak is available at The Spot, maybe Keohi. I have seen it before, and contemplated trying, but it sounded dangerous. Apparently, you have to enter a second set of service parameters, and make multiple changes and counterchanges. I decided it wasn't worth the risk of messing up my service default settings. Have you tried the stretch modes for at least a week? Your eyes will adjust so that a normal 4:3 image looks distorted. TW1 is the preferred mode for 4:3 material. It keeps the center 1/3 the same, and slightly elongates the 1/3 on each end, barely noticeable unless an actor is postioned solely in one of the 1/3 ends of the screen. If you still want to try to change the bars to black, and can't find the adjustment, let me know and I will try to find it again. It may be in the paid members section of The Spot.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If you have a later progressive player the bars are black. Both my Toshiba (now 4 years old) and Malata have black bars.

This actually belongs in hardware BTW.

The grey bars, which are an average signal, are supposed to help prevent burn in, which you would very much mind.

DaveCaddell

Auditioning
Special as in "Special Ed" or as in "preferred"? ;)

j/k Thanks to all for the responses.

Yes, I have tried to go the TW1 route but it just irks me. Mine is the model of 2 years ago. I forget the model number...57H81 maybe?

Anyway, doesn't it seem crazy that they would have grey bars? Black bars would prevent burn in just as well as grey, wouldn't they? That is my one big complaint about the Toshiba. Otherwise, love it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Black bars would prevent burn in just as well as grey, wouldn't they? That is my one big complaint about the Toshiba.
Apparently not, since this is an extreme setting (ie black or white).
The black bars are only good on the DVD player BTW, the TV mode is still grey, but I usually zoom in on that. I don't need OAR for the news. :)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Your eyes will adjust so that a normal 4:3 image looks distorted. TW1 is the preferred mode for 4:3 material. It keeps the center 1/3 the same, and slightly elongates the 1/3 on each end, barely noticeable unless an actor is postioned solely in one of the 1/3 ends of the screen.
This is true as long as the show/movie you're watching has actors. In this disproportionate stretch mode, try watching something on HGTV. The first time the camera pans across a tiled floor or wooden deck, you'd better have a barf bag handy. :p)

I know that others here have had great success making their own black mattes to place over the screen to solve your exact problem. The threads I remember are VERY old, but you may be able to find something in the archives.

Also, FYI, after watching my Toshiba TW40F80 (NTSC-only, not HD) for seven years, it shows no sign of burn-in.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Well I am very happy with the strech modes on my 57HDX82
Though it is less than a year old and Toshiba may have improved the streach modes since your TV was made.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I think the reasoning behind the grey bars is that they force the TV to actually be producing some sort of image, so the "unused" portion of the screen burns in evenly with the used portion, which wouldn't happen with black bars. Personally it doesn't bother me at all, and remember, watching a 4:3 film stretched is just as bad as watching a WS film in MAR.;)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the grey bars are to help prevent burnin. I got around the issue by making black curtains that I velcro'ed to the top of the Tosh. I sling them up when watching widescreen and drop them down for 4:3. Easier than mucking around in the service menu....and less likely to destroy your TV. Plus it's kinda classy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i've had my tosh 56x81 for 3 years and i watch all 4x3 in the tw1 mode.

after a week or so i didnt even notice. and when we watch something and my wife says that actress looks like she has gained wait, i remind her we are watching stretched mode.
i use black matts too but only on the top and bottom for movies that have bars there. it makes a gigantic difference. as the black bars are never true black. the matts are a great idea.

tw1 only stretches the outer sides of the image. the middle most part of the picture is not stretched much at all.

really though after a week you dont even notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks