Toshiba grey bars issue

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DaveCaddell, Jun 25, 2003.

1. DaveCaddell

DaveCaddell Auditioning

I have the Toshiba HDTV 57" widescreen model. As many of you well know, when forced to watch a movie in 4:3 format, the bars on the side are grey and not black.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make those bars black? It sure kills the experience for them to be grey!

Thanks!
    Dave

2. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I just use the strech modes. BTW why are you watching 4:3 movie? [​IMG] j/k

3. DaveCaddell

DaveCaddell Auditioning

Weeeeeeeeeeeel,

I have tried to use the stretch format but I just can't stand the way it looks. I just can't fathom what Toshiba was thinking to have made the bars grey. [​IMG]

Believe me, if I can find 16:9 versions I do!

4. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

Yes, it is possible, but very difficult. I think the tweak is available at The Spot, maybe Keohi. I have seen it before, and contemplated trying, but it sounded dangerous. Apparently, you have to enter a second set of service parameters, and make multiple changes and counterchanges. I decided it wasn't worth the risk of messing up my service default settings. Have you tried the stretch modes for at least a week? Your eyes will adjust so that a normal 4:3 image looks distorted. TW1 is the preferred mode for 4:3 material. It keeps the center 1/3 the same, and slightly elongates the 1/3 on each end, barely noticeable unless an actor is postioned solely in one of the 1/3 ends of the screen. If you still want to try to change the bars to black, and can't find the adjustment, let me know and I will try to find it again. It may be in the paid members section of The Spot.

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If you have a later progressive player the bars are black. Both my Toshiba (now 4 years old) and Malata have black bars.

This actually belongs in hardware BTW.

The grey bars, which are an average signal, are supposed to help prevent burn in, which you would very much mind.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Dave, there are specific forum areas for TV related topics. You'll get a better response there.

7. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

On my 65" Toshiba I have an option to turn the grey side bars black. I am special ;-)

8. DaveCaddell

DaveCaddell Auditioning

Special as in "Special Ed" or as in "preferred"? [​IMG]

j/k Thanks to all for the responses.

Yes, I have tried to go the TW1 route but it just irks me. Mine is the model of 2 years ago. I forget the model number...57H81 maybe?

Anyway, doesn't it seem crazy that they would have grey bars? Black bars would prevent burn in just as well as grey, wouldn't they? That is my one big complaint about the Toshiba. Otherwise, love it.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

10. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian

11. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Well I am very happy with the strech modes on my 57HDX82
    Though it is less than a year old and Toshiba may have improved the streach modes since your TV was made.

12. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I think the reasoning behind the grey bars is that they force the TV to actually be producing some sort of image, so the "unused" portion of the screen burns in evenly with the used portion, which wouldn't happen with black bars. Personally it doesn't bother me at all, and remember, watching a 4:3 film stretched is just as bad as watching a WS film in MAR.[​IMG]

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yes, the grey bars are to help prevent burnin. I got around the issue by making black curtains that I velcro'ed to the top of the Tosh. I sling them up when watching widescreen and drop them down for 4:3. Easier than mucking around in the service menu....and less likely to destroy your TV. Plus it's kinda classy.

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i've had my tosh 56x81 for 3 years and i watch all 4x3 in the tw1 mode.

after a week or so i didnt even notice. and when we watch something and my wife says that actress looks like she has gained wait, i remind her we are watching stretched mode.
    i use black matts too but only on the top and bottom for movies that have bars there. it makes a gigantic difference. as the black bars are never true black. the matts are a great idea.

tw1 only stretches the outer sides of the image. the middle most part of the picture is not stretched much at all.

really though after a week you dont even notice.