Toshiba geometry settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Volkman, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Ronald Volkman

I have an older (2000 model) Toshiba TN55X81. I recently picked up a Samsung OTA HD STB. My convergence board had been replaced 2 years ago, and the techs that replaced it only converged the 480 mode, so the 1080 was a mess. Since the set is 4:3 with no squeeze mode, the only sensible thing to do is reconverge the 1080i mode to 16:9, which I did using strings and the whole bit. Everything looks great.

I noticed that certain designer mode geometry parameters (HIT, WID) seem to work separately for 480 and 1080 modes, but others (PARA, CNR) seem to affect both. So if I tried to adjust PARA in 1080i mode, it messed up the 480 mode. Of course, there's no documentation for any of this, but I wondered if any experienced users are aware of this? Are HIT and WID (maybe HPOS) the only geometry parameters that can be separately adjusted?

Thanks for any input.

RV

2. StephenMSmith

StephenMSmith Stunt Coordinator

3. Ronald Volkman

Thanks, Stephen. I use your spreadsheet all the time. My TN55X81 has been in your column 'O' for years. I guess I forgot about that geometry tab.

When I look at the tab though, the PARA parameter appears to be able to hold separate values for 1080i and 480i. However, when I changed the screen using PARA in 1080i mode, it absolutely changed the 480i screen. That didn't happen with the HIT parameter, which allowed me to "shrink" the 1080i screen to 16:9 height without affecting the 480i mode. I worked around it with the convergence grid, but it wasn't the optimal method, to be sure.

On a side note, how did you ever collect this info. Was it simply trial and error, or did you actually have some documentation. I can't imagine using this set these last few years without this sheet, and regret that the newer sets don't give as much access to adjustments.

Ron Volkman

4. StephenMSmith

StephenMSmith Stunt Coordinator

Hey, Column O! I thought I recognized you. Good to see your still alive and kicking... there aren't many X81's still around anymore. Mine is still going strong and looking great. I too have a hard time imagining buying another set that didn't give me the same level of tweakability.

I just checked and found I actually don't have any formulas in the 1080i column, so it's not correct. Now that I think about it, I made the Geometry page before I had a 1080i source (that's why it's separated from the rest). I'll update it. But if you've already figured out the relationships, let me know and I'll plug it in.

The geometry stuff was trial and error, but I got the EEPROM defaults (HW column) from a QA02 reset a long time ago.

Steve