What's new

Toshiba geometry off - How do I fix it. (1 Viewer)

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Toshiba 53HX71. I noticed tonight with Avia (widescreen test pattern) that the right portion of the screen is slightly larger that the left.

What value in service mode is used to adjust this. I've been to the Keohi site and couldn't find an answer. I did find various vertical bending adjustments but no horizontal.

I thought this adjustment may be in the design mode, but I can't access design mode with the directions they provide.

Anybody got an answer? I want to decrease the height of the right half of the screen.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You might want to check out the Toshiba section at HomeTheaterSpot.com. If you were to ask there, you might get an answer a little quicker.

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi jim,

Have you tried looking at your convergence grid? Perhaps it needs adjustment. You may want to look at Tom Herman's write up on geometry as well.

Thanks,

Errol

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
The TV has an auto convergenc and the 9 point. Both were looked at and no problems. A member at another forum mentioned a full 56 point convergence.

I'm going to give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Jim I'm sure Jeff Kowerchuck has done something similar with the sets at creative. if you get stuck I'd fire him an email

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Andrew.

By the way, I may take you up on that offer for a demo of your Sonosub. Just a little busy now.

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
So I'm trying the convergence. I'm just a little confused. Since my geometry is out of wack, so is the convergence grid. I don't have an overlay.

Do I try to line up the green gun outside the convergence grid? If I do this will the images become true?

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jim,
To do convergence, reset the grid, then line up the blue and red against the green.
You can find detailed instructions on this and related procedures here.
Thanks,
Errol

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
Errol,

On the Keohi site, it says to reset user level convergence by setting some values to 80 in design mode. Is this what you mean by resetting the grid? If not, can you please point me in the right direction.

I can't get into design mode. The instructions are for an older TV. I've tried alot of combinations on the remote and nothing did the trick.

Have any idea on how to get into design mode on a 53HX71?

I'm also having trouble getting to the built in screen test patterns.

Thanks.

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,
I have a 61H71, which is the same generation set as yours. I had trouble getting into the service/designer modes also because there is a certain timing to hitting the buttons properly. But those instructions ARE accurate for our sets. I did get in, and I know you can too, with those instructions.
When it comes to convergence and correcting geometry, I've tried a couple of times and gotten frustrated. I have several web pages and a fellow here gave me some lengthy instructions that were helpful. But I still haven't quite "gotten" it yet. If there were a web page with instructions written for a 2 year old maybe I would understand more. But I am going to try again soon...:D

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Jim;
The first thing you will want to do is reset the 9-pt convergence. The Toshiba's have two convergence modes - the 9-pt for the user and a 64-pt designed for service techs.
The two are completely independent and errors created in the 9-pt convergence can't really be fixed in the 64-pt.
The old way to 'reset' the 9-pt was in Designer mode. However, Toshiba has long since hidden the Designer mode from access. The other method is the more obscure and potentially more dangerous ADDR mode. You can find information on ADDR at the Keohi HDTV website.
You can also reset the convergence manually. It is a little time consuming but it is possible. Simply bring up your 9-pt convergence. You can just use the crosshairs in the middle of the screen. Now, pick either red or blue and pull it completely to the left - just hold down until it can't go any further. Now, move it completely to the right one tick at a time. Be slow and careful here - make sure each button press registers and is only one 'tick' at a time. Count how many 'ticks' it takes to get all the way to the right. Divide that number by 2. Now, repeat the procedure for red and blue at all of the 9-pts: move all the way to the left and then move however many 'ticks' to the right you determined was necessary. Slightly tedious to be sure, but it does work.
Now that you've reset the 9-pt convergence, you can work in 64-pt convergence. The absolute best way of adjusting in this mode is with an overlay grid provided by Toshiba. They are hard to get, however, and expensive. The other option is to run string lines along the TV using your own measurements. Again - a tedious process but its cheap and it works.
Important Note: Don't ever leave your 64-pt convergence grid on the screen for any longer than 20 minutes. This is a high contrast/high brightness image (doesn't matter what you've set your contrast to, this grid runs at its own contrast level) and it will burn in very easily if left on too long.
Tips for the 64-pt convergence mode:
1. Green is the template. Only adjust green to make the green lines straight. When adjusting the actual convergence (ie. red on top of green etc.), never adjust green. Green is your template. Use it to make the grid geometrically correct and then leave it.
2. Once green is verified to be ok, adjust red onto green.
3. After red is correctly converged on green, turn green off and adjust blue onto red.
This method works very well and makes it easier to see the convergence errors than having all the colours on at once.
Good luck!
----
Jeff

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff,

I've just done the reset and an initial convergence "by eye". I's not bad, but my green grid is still a little out of wack.

I would like to create a convergence overlay. Do you have any tips on how to do this?

On Chris White's homepage there are instructions for widescreen TV's. How would I calculate the size of the individual grids needed for my 53".

Could I physically measure the ones on the screen during convergence to get an average and go from there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks