Toshiba first gen TV and hdtv possiblitities?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derrick Kratt, May 16, 2001.

1. Derrick Kratt

Derrick Kratt Auditioning

My current tv is the first generation of toshiba widescreen tv's. The exact model is 65G80. What it only has is a component input, that i am using with my dvd at the moment. Basically what my question is, without this tv being hdtv ready, or having any kind of dtv input, what are my choices for wanting to watch a hdtv or sdtv signal? From what i understand will I only be able to get 480p on this set with an additional set top box and go to the component input? Do i need to just purchase a set top box and will i be able to receive sdtv then? Sorry for all the questions, just wondering what my possibilities are. Thanks for the help in advance

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Since it is not an hd ready set, it will not accept 480p either..A set top box will take a HD signal or sd signal and convert it to 480i for your set to accept....It will still look much better than any NTSC channel...
    ------------------

3. Derrick Kratt

Derrick Kratt Auditioning

So even the fact of having the component inputs on the tv does not get me a step up for anything. So basically the 16:9 format on this tv is only good for dvd's and not really future ready for anything. just like any other tv? bummer. [​IMG]