Toshiba "DVI upgrade" for 65H82...WOW!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joe Thompson, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Joe Thompson

Joe Thompson Stunt Coordinator

I spoke with a cust rep from Toshiba this morning about what the manual says in regards to the TV being DVI upgradeable ...What she said floored me....for $399.00 they will send a new TV to my house & pick up my old one!!

She did say I need to fax her a copy of my receipt. I did purchase at a local shop.

Has anyone had any experience with this? If so how flexible are they about changing TV's...etc.

Thanks...

Joe

2. John S

John S Producer

That is a wow!!!!!

$399 though... You think it is worth it?

3. Joe Thompson

Joe Thompson Stunt Coordinator

well I am sure it would be for a new 65H83....I have not had any problems with this TV(65H82)...I was actually looking into selling it & buying a plasma....so I am not sure i fit would be worth it for the extra 400 bucks...
    Anyone want to buy a brand new 65" Toshiba TV...haha!

Joe

4. John S

John S Producer

I don't have any DVI sources is all... But I have had 2nd thoughts on getting a set without it.

5. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

Is this upgrade only for your model year? I've got a 3 year old 65 inch that I wish had DVI.

6. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

does this upgrade also apply to the 50H82? If so, I'd do it for $400 without a second thought!!

7. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Does it apply to a 65H80? [​IMG]

Peace,

DM

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi Dave.

I too have a 65H80 and wonder the same question. Care to call and post your results? If a yes, it is too good to be true!!

Regards

Gregg

9. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I haven't called yet about my 42h82 but I've read on some other forums of people who have done the "DVI Upgrade". From what I gathered, it has to be a Toshiba TV that was advertised at DVI upgradable. I know the H82 line was. It costs $399 and you can only get the size TV you have. You can't go from a 42" to a bigger size. Maybe Toshiba changed their minds about offering the upgrade and instead figured it was easier to offer new TVs w/DVI. I may do it this spring.

10. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

This is not available for models 81 and earlier

11. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

AWESOME! I really hope this is true in Canada as well, as I hope to get this "upgrade" done to my 50H82! $400 (US, I assume) for a brand new TV is an amazing deal... maybe the replacement sets are refurbished or something? I'm gonna call Toshiba Canada on Monday and find out.

12. Patrick Ja

Patrick Ja Agent

I took advantage of this deal a little over a month ago. I used to have a 65H82. They offered the 65H83 for 399.99. I asked if I could get the 65HX83 instead and they let me do it for 599.99. A freight company came to my house picked up my old set and brought me a brand new one,out of the box. They offer you the a brand new warranty on your new set. It only applies to the H82 series because these sets were supposed to be "dvi upgradable". For 699.99 they let you go all the way up to the HX93 series with the built in hdtv tuner. I am really glad I made the upgrade the picture on my new set is superior to my old set in my opinion. Maybe because the new set has better guns. Cosmetically It looks way better than my old set. Plus it gives me peace of mind knowing that if I want a upscaling dvd player with a hdmi/dvi connection I am all set. I hope this helped.

P.S. I hope I can catch you on your next stop to Detroit ,Gregg, to work on my baby. I just watched the Super Bowl in high definition and I can't believe that the picture can actually look better.

13. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I just called Toshiba Canada Customer Service and the extremely rude rep told me there is no DVI upgrade, not even in the US! He also questioned me as to why I want DVI on my TV and he continuously questioned my knowledge! What an asshole!

Then I called Toshiba America and was told that the upgrade is in fact available. They took down my information and a rep will get in touch with me with more details, and whether or not this is available in Canada. I truly hope it is: I'd love to get an HX83!

14. Mark Murphy

I have a 42H82 and would love to "upgrade". I see that you can upgrade to the Cinema(HX) series from a TheaterWide(H) for extra money. I'll have to call and see what they do in the case of the 42" TVs. Toshiba doesn't make a 42HX83, only a 42H83. I wonder if they'd allow you to get a 46HX83 instead. If not, I'll just spend the money on ISF because the extra $400 isn't worth going from an H82 to an H83 for DVI only.

15. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Mark,
    Now thats what I like to hear!!!

At your service, [​IMG]

Gregg

16. Mark Murphy

Gregg,
    The only thing holding me back from getting an ISF calibration is some quirky problems I think the TV might be having. I don't want to have you come out only to find that the TV needs service, and I'm not very confident in calling out a service tech.

17. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

So, any word on the availability of this upgrade for Canadians?

18. Steve Masuch

Steve Masuch Auditioning

What is the phone number to Toshiba America? I've been searching around for information on the DVI upgrade for my Toshiba 65H82. I can't seem to find the customer support phone number to call on this.

Thanks
    --Steve

19. Steve Masuch

Steve Masuch Auditioning

What is the phone number to Toshiba America? I've been searching around for information on the DVI upgrade for my Toshiba 65H82. I can't seem to find the customer support phone number to call on this.

Thanks
    --Steve