Toshiba DVI question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Gereghty, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Keith Gereghty

I have been looking at buying the 50hx81 in the next month but am worried with everything I am hearing about DVI and FireWire. Should I just wait for the new line to come out and see what happens. I understand Toshiba to be adding the port for DVI for the 2003 models. What do you all think?

2. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Honestly, I think all this DVI/Firewire stuff sucks.

If you buy a TV now, before these new models come out this fall 2002, you will most likely lose your ability to view full-resolution HDTV in the near future. You'll be in the same boat as the other 99% of us who bought TV's before these standards were forced in.

If I were you, I'd wait.

Those of us with current HDTV's are going to have to fight to the death to get any kind of solution....

Im hoping that consumer backlash will kill these copy-protection scheme limitations for analog HDTV, which destroys the current install-base of HDTV's....Well over 1 million units in the US alone...

My .02

-Ryan Dinan

3. Keith Gereghty

D'oh! Not what I wanted to hear. Thanks anyway.

4. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Not what I wanted to hear either...I'm about 5 days away from purchasing my 1st HD-RPTV, and I just can't wait till Fall. This may, however, cause me to purchase a less expensive, lower-end set now (goodbye Sony XBR2 [​IMG] ), and plan to set aside some cash for higher-end set in the next year-or-two once these issues are resolved.
    Please excuse this totally "newbie" question, but is it possible that the manufacturers will be able to supply a DVI/Firewire converter box that will enable older HDTV-capable TVs to view full resolution HD signals in the future? ...or perhaps, the older HDTVs can somehow be "upgraded" by replacing the tuners/cards/whatever inside the sets? If Mitsubishi can "guarantee" that THEIR sets can be upgraded in the future, why can't other companies retrofit their existing sets??? I'd rather pay $1000 or so for a internal upgrade than to have to get a whole new set in a couple of years.
    With that said (and my purchase still pending), are there any Mitsubishi HDTV owners out there who can recommend a particular model that would save me this headache later?

5. JohnD_R_Rocha

Ive owned a Tosh 57H81 since October of last year. I will likely purchase a nex-gen HD OTA/DTV receiver this summer as well.

Can Keith or anyone else point me to a website to read up on these new standards. It sounds like they could make my set a complete waste of money, $3000 in the toilet.

Positive feedback would be GREATLY appreciated if thats at all possible.

6. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

I'd wait. I was all set to upgrade this month. Got my bonus last Friday. I've decided to wait 5-6 months and see what comes out for 2003.

7. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

DVI or firewire when it is finally implemented will not prevent you from being able to receive HDTV from OTA broadcast networks....Even HBO HD and showtime HD is debatable as to whether or not they will be included..It will effect first run HD PPV movies or other HD PPV events and your ability to record them...There is no box that will be able to convert DVI to component for sets without DVI..

8. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Like Keith, I'm anxious to make a purchase this month...and would hate to wait till Fall as patience is not one of my strongpoints! :b

(Also, if anyone owns a Toshiba 57HX81, and has had NO problem with ghosting and loves the set, please email me privately.)

I don't use PPV as I've usually purchased the new movies on DVD by the time they air on PPV (see "no patience" above). I just don't want this "connection issue" to affect my ability to get the best Hi-Def picture available.

Personally, ANYTHING would be better than the "@!%&$!" signal I'm now receiving from Charter "Digital" Cable, even if I dangled off my roof with a coat hanger antenna in each hand! Their service is off at least 3-4 days each month and usually only when something special (Grammys, HBO concert) is airing. Grrrr... I'm dying to get a widescreen and hook it up to a satellite dish ASAP!

9. RyanDinan

10. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Question to Ryan & Mike & others:
    - So, with DVI/Firewire looming in the future, would you recommend new (impatient) buyers (like myself) purchase the current Mitsubishi sets??? To quote this month's HT magazine, "Mitsubishi has publicly promised that, for less than $1K, they will upgrade any of its existing HD-capable displays with a module that will include a 1394 input...which may be reason enough to consider purchasing it."
    Of all the sets I'm currently considering (Sony KP-57HW40, Toshiba 57HX81, Mitsubishi WS-55819, Pioneer SD-533HD5), the Mits is the only one that addresses any future compatibility issues. While I want to enjoy a widescreen set NOW, I'd hate to feel "burned" later.
    [​IMG]

11. Atho

Atho Agent

Guys I really need advice:

I just bought my TV and DVD player like 3 weeks ago....I have 30 days to return it....It's a Toshiab 16 X 9 34 inch that we payed close to 4 g's for with tax plus the DVD player......should I tell my dad that we should return it? I already mentioned the topic to him....he said there will always be new technology...

What should I do?

12. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Well, just found a Sony Press Release verifying THEIR commitment to DVI, and their Fall HDTV line at:
    http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/2021
    Who knows what the others (Mits, Toshiba, Pioneer) will have on their Fall line. Maybe I should just roll my bonus into a CD at the bank, earn interest, and pout till Fall.
    Nawww..that requires patience. [​IMG]

13. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

I feel your pain Jenna. I was all set to unleash my VISA card on a Toshiba 34-inch widescreen this week. I had a buyer for my first-generation Toshiba HDTV. I had a van arranged for delivery of this set to its buyer, and pickup of my new set. I had a coupon that would have got me a great price on this set.
    Then all this DVI stuff came crashing down around me. The Sony press release really put the chill on my wallet.
    So I bought Kasey Chambers' new CD instead[​IMG]
    I guess I'll have to bottle up my desire for a widescreen set until Fall.

14. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

15. JohnD_R_Rocha

First:

Seems this thread should be merged with the larger HDTV & DVI thread in progress.

Second:

Does anyone feel that this situation could end up like the current situation with cable converter boxes? That is to say that if you want to use PPV or premium channels(ie HBO, Showtime, etc) that you will need a STB with DVI output and a TV with DVI+HDCP input. However if you wanted to get plain vanilla OTA stuff and GENERIC cable/satellite channels(TNT, MTV, ESPN, etc.) you could use an "older" model STB with something like component out hooked into component in on our pre-Fall2002 model "HD-ready" TVs?

16. DerekDC

DerekDC Auditioning

17. RyanDinan

18. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Ryan, I agree. $1K IS alot of money to pay to make an "HD-ready set" REALLY HD-ready...BUT I could pay an additional $2K more NOW for the Sony 57XBR2 (that has a 1394 IEEE Firewire connection but nothing to plug into it yet), or buy the 55" Mitsubishi upgradeable set now and upgrade later when more plug-in devices are available.
    Pay now, pay later??? At this point, what's another $1K? $2K? $3K??? At this rate, we'll all have excellent HDTV **someday**...but we'll be existing on peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. We could always charge our friends admission to view our Home Theaters...that could help offset our costs! [​IMG]

19. Everett A

Everett A Agent

I have heard from a source that Toshiba will be including DVI on their next line of sets (coming out around September), but only the higher end models.

I have a 50HX81, and my source tells me that Toshiba will upgrade my set to accomodate DVI (through a new jack pack) for around $200 CDN, which is roughly $120 u.s.

20. Aleksei S

Aleksei S Auditioning

Hey all,
    If you are all concerned about the HDCP, DVI, Firewire news that is coming down the pipe you owe it to yourself to read the "HDTV and DVI: A Very Important Article" post by Chuck C. It gets a tad highschoolish at times, but take the hard data out of it and it is a very good thread.
    If you already own a HDTV without DVI and HDCP decoding you may want to sign this petition: