What's new

Toshiba DVD player sound issue (1 Viewer)

Marlon

Agent
Real Name
Marlon
For some reason unknown to me, my Toshiba SD-3109 DVD player refuses to decode Dolby Digital (or DTS for that matter) signals into something my receiver interprets as surround. I hear sound, but only from the front surrounds!! :angry:
I know it's not a receiver issue, as the receiver correctly outputs test signals to all my speakers.
Does anyone know of a solution? Or do I have to start searching for a new DVD player? For the record, my receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX..
Thanks in advance for the advice...

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
This might work. When your DVD player is on, press the audio key on the remote and cycle through the options. If you are using an optical cable, choose "bitstream". To me it sounds like you want the DVD player to decode 5.1 and not the receiver. If you have the player hooked to the receiver via six separate analog cables, choose "analog 6-ch". Hope this helps.

Marlon

Agent
Real Name
Marlon
I have the DVD player connected via optical cable to the receiver and the DVD player is set to output bitstream. However, I still don't get 5.1 sound.

BruceD

Screenwriter
How did you setup the receiver for DD5.1 and DTS5.1 output? Specifically speaker setup.

How is the DVD connected to the receiver (what receiver inputs and what DVD outputs)?

Did you select small or large speakers? sub? Did you calibrate all speakers to 75dB with the radio shack SPL meter and receiver test tones?

As Eric said what is the DVD players "audio output" set to in the DVD's setup menu?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks