Toshiba DVD player owners: Are the latest models better than past models?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ivan Lindenfeld, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

I have owned a Tosh SD-1008 (2008 without Colorstream) for 3 years. I have generally been happy with it and have viewed thousands of hours of DVD's on it. Since it works 99.9% of the time perfectly it's hard to fault it.
    HOWEVER, it does suffer from the audio dropouts problem on DD on certain titles. I have heard it on DTS, too but I don't hold that against it since it was not advertised as DTS compatible it just happens to be so.
    I have read this forum for a while and I noticed that even some the last gen of Toshibas had audio dropout problems. I can guess (somewhat wildly) that this is probably due to a difference in the implementation of the DVD standard that Toshiba is sticking to although it may not be as compatible with every single title out there. Tosh claims to have invented DVD technology and so they possibly susbcribe to their "standard". Hee hee.
    The question is: Do the current crop of Toshiba players have the audio dropout problems AT ALL. It was never all players of a generation, just certain ones. I don't know of a single friend with a 5109 that has this problem, but the 2109 does.
    I'd like to stick with Tosh for DVD players but I may try another brand. Please, Sony people, don't just jump in and say "by a SOny" That happens all too much around here. [​IMG] I have a very specific question for Toshiba owners. Thanks.
    ------------------
    Ivan Lindenfeld
    I call it "Extreme Hometheater" Ask me about the Audi TT!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The reason I upgraded to a "newer" Toshiba DVD player was because the older one I had had an audio dropout problem when mated with Sony receivers. To me, this is a serious issue and reason enough to upgrade. I used to have a Toshiba 3107 and I got the 3108 which is about 2 years old now but still flawless (after the code upgrade).
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

3. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

My 2109 has never had an audio drop out problem.
    It's been great. I'm going to get a progressive player soon though.

4. Darell_Land

Darell_Land Auditioning

I have a 3205 it gets horible reviews but I love it, play the hell out of it and no troubles had it for 2years one clich is, the picture pauses for a 1/2sec I think durning layer change but Iam use to it dosnt bother me, but no sound troubles.

5. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    ZERO problems with my SD-1200 in 18 months or so of ownership. All the better since I only paid $145 shipped.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

I have an SD-1600 that's almost a year old and has had about 100 discs (~70% rentals) through it without exhibiting any audio dropout problems. I've had a couple of lockups on badly scratched Netflix discs, but that's about it. Heck, there's a deal on bensbargains right now for a free SD-1700 with a $170 purchase on some site - might be worth looking into ...

7. Raine Linton

Raine Linton Stunt Coordinator

I've had my 5109 for well over a year with no problems (knock wood). I had considered up grading to another Tosh and I even contacted a couple of HT magazine tekkies to get their opinion, as well as my friend and ISF guy, and their thoughts were to hold on to my 5109 that I would be paying for extras not related to video quality. So if your Tosh is working well and you don't want to upgrade to progressive scan just yet, enjoy watcha got!.

8. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

contrary to everyone here it seems, my tosh 2109 has audio dropouts (when skipping chapters or starting/navigating menus with sound) that last .5 to 1 second. thinking it might be my receiver (marantz sr-6200) i brought my dvd player to the shop and tested it out on another 6200. same problem. then we tested out the brand new tosh 3750 and the audio dropouts were 1 to 2 seconds long! however, a marantz dvd player didn't have any dropouts. maybe it's just the tosh/marantz combo...
    ------------------
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

9. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I have a 2109 for probably a couple of years now, I have not noticed any audio drop out, but I do noticed that it does not "recover" very well. On DVDs that appear to have surface problem, I suspect dirt, as this only happens on rentals and never my own collection, the video broke up and it just hang. The same DVD will be recoverable on my Dell, iow, my Dell would still experience video breakup, but will eventually recover. As the DVD drive in my computer is also a Toshiba and about the same vintage (may be slightly older), I think the General Cinema hardware decoder may be a little bit more robust than whats in the 2109, and this may be true for newer Toshiba players.

10. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

My Toshiba SD-1200 has performed flawlessly for the last year or so.....no complaints at all.
    The SD-1700 is available for only $150 at Best Buy, $150 at 800.com with free shipping and at Costco (if you're a member or know someone who is) for $130.

11. Andy W

Andy W Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a Toshiba 3107 in August, 1998 and a Toshiba 1200 in March, 2000 (for DTS output capability). Both have performed flawlessly (except for the new Heathers DVD which caused problems for numerous DVD players from different manufacturers – also have not opened my copy of Monty Python and the Holy Grail yet).
    I have never had an audio dropout in Dolby Digital (or DTS on the 1200). Both players have spun approximately 200 to 300 discs each . My decoder is the Yamaha DSP-A1.

12. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Sd 6200 with Sony STRDE 945 receiver and no drop out or any other kind of problems.
    Russ
    [Edited last by Russell _T on November 08, 2001 at 05:21 PM]

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Mine is the venerable SD 2109. It has outlasted EVERYTHING in my system (almost 2 years) and since I will not change my 32" TV anytime soon, it will be around until it dies! No dropout problems at all that are due to this player (my onkyo 575x drops out on someDTS titles when Re-Eq is engaged).
    --
    Holadem

14. ChristianW

ChristianW Stunt Coordinator

I have an SD-2109, and have had it for about 2 years. Up until yesterday I have never had a problem...
    After slipping in Antitrust (region 4) I got nothing. The disc would simply spin up then spin down, repeatedly. Though the disc worked fine in a PS2 and in a friends Panasonic player.
    Other than this, my only complaint is no CD-R or CD-RW playback, but I can live with that.
    All up I'm quite happy with it.

15. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

I have heavily used my sd-2200 for about a year now. I have put well over 200 dvd's through it (30% rental) and have not experienced any trouble at all.

16. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Just replaced an SD-2200 with an SD-3750, and yeah, it's better. I had next to no problems with the 2200 - the new one's just better.
    Martin.
    ------------------
    DVD Collection

17. Darell_Land

Darell_Land Auditioning

You no I was thinking about this Audio drop out I read somewere cant remeber maybe here ....Anyway that the Yamaha model 1000 I think has trouble with Toshiba audio and they are working on a fix (Yamaha)... So maybe it has more to with the Receiver than the Player .... just a thought.

18. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

I have the 5109 and I've had this dropout problem in DTS mode with my Sony 925 receiver since day 1. Is there any way to fix it? I'm gonna be upgrading the receiver soon so hopefully it won't have this dropout.
    ------------------
    Romar Armas
    Merrill Lynch Canada
    Database Administrator

19. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Darell_Land,
    Do you have any more details on this issue? Did you mean the RX-V1000 receiver?
    Thanks,
    Martin.
    ------------------
    DVD Collection

20. Darell_Land

Darell_Land Auditioning

Hi
    I cant remember were I read this I looked for it I found one posting At Home Theater Spot ...I am sorry if I am not to be giving out other site info If I am breaking rules I will take the whip for it. Anyway I cant find the post I read but did find this relating to a conflict that another poster had asked about.
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...c&f=5&t=000716
    But I no I read somewhere about a audio conflict with Yamaha receivers I will click around some more see if i can find it